+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    gchalmers Guest

    How to put lien on vehicle

    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington, DC

    I have a judgement against a contractor for $2,000. I can't serve him anything, he doesn't answer the door for anyone. I tried seizing his bank account, but he only had $100 in it and then closed it. Is my next best bet a lien on the vehicle? How would I go about that? I assume he has a vehicle but don't have any info on it. I also don't have his social security number - do I need any of that to place a lien on a vehicle? What is my first step in doing so? And, does it involve serving him anything (if so, it probably won't work for me)

    Or, is my better bet a lien on his property? I do know his address.
    Thanks for any guidance.

  2. #2
    bearbear Guest

    go get em

    A property lien is no good if you want you money right away. You should automatically put a property lien on any property this person has though anyways just in case. I have experience in these matters as I own a judgment enforcement business. I see plenty of cases like yours all the time. The hard part for many people is tracking down and finding out just what assets these people have so you can go after them. As for the vehicle you will have to find out which vehicles he actually owns and the liscense plates and possibly VIN numbers of the vehicles. You could put a lien on the vehicle, but you could also have the sheriff levy the property. In most cases the sheriff will levy the vehicle and sell it at an auction. If the judgment debtor does have money to pay the judgment he will most likely pay you the money before the car goes to auction, just so he doesnt get screwed on losing a vehicle for an incredibly cheap price. If you want to find out what assets he owns my advice to you is to hire a private investigator or find a judgment recovery specialist (like me) to go after the debtor for you. However private investigators may be a little expensive and judgment recovery specialist generally work on a 50% basis. However there is always the chance that this person will pay up but if they havent allready its not likely they will. good luck on recovering your money and if you need to find out howto levy a vehicle once you find out one he owns feel free to write me a msg and I'll do my best to help you out.

    *the statements above are my OPINION and only that. they are not intended to be legal advice whatsoever.*

  3. #3
    gchalmers Guest

    re: go get em

    thanks for the advice. It sounds like a vehicle lien is not easy. As for "finding out which vehicles he actually owns and the liscense plates and possibly VIN numbers of the vehicles" - is that something that can usually be found out at the DMV? He likely does have the money, he does well for himself and lives in a very nice home.

    Also, when you say "have the sheriff levy the property", is that only after I get the lien on the vehicle? ie I have to first get the lien, then request the sheriff levy it? Finally, do recovery specialists work on a "pay only if the debt is collected" basis, or does the client pay regardless of whether or not it is recovered? Is there anyone who will somehow "buy" the judgement up front and take on the recovery effort themselves? Thanks again.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Somnambulist University
    First off... 'bearbear' is only partly correct, so take his 'advice' as such.

    For example, only a very few states will allow a judgment creditor to place a lien on a vehicle. Yours is NOT one of them.

    The allowed processes for enforcing a judgment are state specific. Some processes that MIGHT be available are: wage garnishment, bank seizure, liens (on real property), property seizure (certain personal property).

    For example, if you know the employer for your debt, you can consider filing a wage garnishment against him.
    If your debtor owns real property, you can file a lien on that property (if not within the DC 'jurisdiction, you will have to domesticate the judgment to the state where his assets are located).
    Obviously, you are familiar with the bank seizure process.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Live Oak

    geting fees owed on work done

    i have a small mechanic shop and a customer brought over a car ,approximatley a year ago this week , we had some work done to parts of the engine and bought some parts to the engine, heads pistons gaskets, the owner has moved away and we can not get in contact with him ,is there anything i can do to get the title to the car or recover most if not al of the money i have out on this car? the car and parts are here at my shop. Edna thomas Shop Owner

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Start your own thread (and be sure to answer the question of which state you are in). Please don't hijack other threads (especially not one that is nearly 6 years ago).

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Lien or loan on vehicle
    By ghindy in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 10:46 AM
  2. Chapter 7- vehicle lien
    By als2003 in forum Consumer Bankruptcy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 04:24 PM
  3. Chapter 7 and lien on vehicle
    By tequilarose1961 in forum Consumer Bankruptcy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 07:17 PM
  4. lien on vehicle
    By whizzy in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.