• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Server Best Buy Co inc, In Small Claims Court, Burlingame CA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VladKSF

How to Server Best Buy Co inc, In Small Claims Court, Burlingame California?
I am in the process of Internet research, and hopefully finish it by Monday. But, just in case, wanted to ask details: who should be an addressee etc.? Especially, if you can protect of common mistakes or tell me formalities I need to know, I would greatly, sincerely appreciate your time!!!

LdiJ

I am in the process of Internet research, and hopefully finish it by Monday. But, just in case, wanted to ask details: who should be an addressee etc.? Especially, if you can protect of common mistakes or tell me formalities I need to know, I would greatly, sincerely appreciate your time!!!
I cannot specifically answer your question but I can tell you that the word "server" does not exist in that context. The term is "serve" as in "How to serve Best Buy Co Inc?" The word service can be used as the noun...but please do not say "server".

FlyingRon

Best Buy is a Minnesota Corporation. You serve them at their registered agent "100 South Fifth Street, Suite 1075,
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55402. Its registered agent at such address is CT Corporation System. "

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Best Buy is a Minnesota Corporation. You serve them at their registered agent "100 South Fifth Street, Suite 1075,
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55402. Its registered agent at such address is CT Corporation System. "
I don't believe that one would serve Best Buy in MN for a California small claims action. The OP should search for Best Buy's California Agent for Service of Proces at http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/

FlyingRon

I don't believe that one would serve Best Buy in MN for a California small claims action. The OP should search for Best Buy's California Agent for Service of Proces at http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/
Good point. However, the person might have a hard time finding it among the 111 entities that come up when you search "Best Buy" in that database. Helps to know that the proper name of the company is: "Best Buy Co., Inc."

Here is the address of the California agent:
BEST BUY CO., INC. WHICH WILL DO BUSINESS IN CALIFORNIA AS MN BEST BUY CO., INC.
Entity Number: C1859920
Agent for Service of Process: C T CORPORATION SYSTEM
Agent Address: 818 WEST SEVENTH ST STE 930
Agent City, State, Zip: LOS ANGELES CA 90017

Mass_Shyster

I can't find a Best Buy in Burlingame, CA.

You need to determine where it is, and find out who maintains the list of fictitious names for that location, and find out what entity is doing business as Best Buy at that location. (The sign on the store reads "Best Buy" , not "Best Buy Co Inc.") There's a chance that "Best Buy Co Inc." is doing business as "Best Buy", but my guess on a quick search is that it is BBC Minnesota Inc. Next, go to the Secretary of State website, and lookup the entity who is doing business as Best Buy at that location. That listing should include a "registered agent". The registered agent is the correct person to serve.

Proserpina

I cannot specifically answer your question but I can tell you that the word "server" does not exist in that context. The term is "serve" as in "How to serve Best Buy Co Inc?" The word service can be used as the noun...but please do not say "server".
I believe English is not his first language.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Good point. However, the person might have a hard time finding it among the 111 entities that come up when you search "Best Buy" in that database.
I agree, which is why I was going to let the OP do it. I didn't have time because I had a plane scheduled at 8.

FlyingRon

There is no entity as "Best Buy in Burlingame." Best Buy owns all of their stores, they aren't independent franchises. It is a Minnesota corporation as I told you. California requires foreign (meaning out of state) corporations to register an agent. That agent is the one I listed above in Los Angeles. They are the ones you serve.

By the way, there doesn't appear to be a Best Buy in Burlingame anyhow. Are you takling about the one in San Bruno or perhaps the one in San Carlos? Still it doesn't really matter for service, but it does matter that you get your facts straight in the case you file.

Last edited:

VladKSF

I wanted to honestly and sincerely thank everybody. All contributions are helpful. The problem is not so much with my English as with my severe ADHD which basically makes me handicapped. Though some people think that ADHD is an adolescent prank, they are blessed not to know it. EG I'm used to lose my wallet a couple of times a year. I just make an accidental unconscious movement and ... lose track of it forever...

I am touched by such response which basically answers my questions. Here is what happened:
I bought Dell Inspiron with sticker of 1 year subscription for Microsoft Office for this computer.

I need computer with Microsoft Office for internet store project which I have recently started with the help of my friend and other people who are doing internet sales for over 10 years. Since Microsoft Office was not pre-downloaded on the computer, I contacted Dell through online chat and started following their instructions for downloading. However, it didn’t work bc at the last moment appeared small window notifying that downloading is blocked by Microsoft. After several futile attempts, Dell representative finally told that it should be Microsoft’s problem. I reached out to Microsoft, and representative asked for permission to enter through web into computer to examine my software. I gladly gave him permission. After examining my computer, Microsoft representative told that it is the product of 'Dell China' about which they have tons of calls. He apologized that he can not help me much because Microsoft does not have any agreement whatsoever with Dell China, and didn’t authorize this company to put a Microsoft product sticker, and If I want to use Microsoft Office, I need to buy product.

But when I tried to return laptop to Best Buy, they refused arguing that computer contains viruses. 1) I didn't do any operations besides those I mentioned (2) My request to return the item was not an arbitrary decision motivated by wrong color of box, but basically it was at least misrepresenting the product or put it straight contained elements of fraud, and in such case, I believe it is a duty for a seller to return it to manufacturer no matter what.

Last edited:

VladKSF

1) Sorry again, it was Best Buy San Bruno at 1250 El Camino Real

2) If I understand it correctly, please tell me if I am wrong; the transaction was illegal on the first place, therefore it must be cancelled no matter what. Similarly, like, GOD FORBID, if I were giving in exchange for laptop counterfeit banknotes, than Best Buy Co inc has all the rights in the world to proclaim transaction void and ask me for money. The same here: since I got “counterfeit” product I ask to proclaim transaction void, no matter how many viruses laptop downloaded (or not downloaded) in the course of ten minutes of my use of it.

FlyingRon

There's nothing illegal about the transaction. You have no rights for it to be voided.

A one year subscription sounds not like Microsoft Office (which is not sold by subscription) but rather Office 365. Office 365 is a "cloud-based" service that is not installed (pre or otherwise) on your computer.

There's no obligation for Best Buy to take back the computer EVER. I can tell you unless the machine is defective right out of the box and you return it immediately, they won't refund you. Laptops are one of their real loss leader/fraud issues. They have large, prominent signs in the store informing you of their policies on that. You'll have to deal with Dell.

If you're bent on suing them, you will have to serve them in the address I gave in LA. I don't think you have much of a chance.

Mass_Shyster

If you're bent on suing them, you will have to serve them in the address I gave in LA.
I suspect the entity you gave the address for is merely a shareholder of the entity that is doing business as Best Buy in San Bruno. Serving that address will simply prolong things, possibly until the statute of limitations runs. Corporations love to play shell games, making you guess which entity is the entity that is actually liable for the injuries.

Finding the entity that actually sold the item is imperative.

VladKSF

There's nothing illegal about the transaction. You have no rights for it to be voided.

A one year subscription sounds not like Microsoft Office (which is not sold by subscription) but rather Office 365. Office 365 is a "cloud-based" service that is not installed (pre or otherwise) on your computer.

There's no obligation for Best Buy to take back the computer EVER. I can tell you unless the machine is defective right out of the box and you return it immediately, they won't refund you. Laptops are one of their real loss leader/fraud issues. They have large, prominent signs in the store informing you of their policies on that. You'll have to deal with Dell.

If you're bent on suing them, you will have to serve them in the address I gave in LA. I don't think you have much of a chance.
So, should I sue Dell instead? Taking aside the financial issue, somebody should be responsible for fraud?! otherwise it sounds less law-abiding system than any Zimbabwe where at least there is an opportunity of taking a stick. Corporations really do play games and they are becoming nastier every year. They create new entities Dell China, DeLLL and whatever new name would be, but there should be way to protect a customer. Sorry for my emotions.
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">