• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How successful would I be?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tjgray

What is the name of your state? TX

How successful would I be at getting damages to my car in small claims court if my only witness to the incident will lie?

A few months ago I let my boyfriend drive my car to look for employment. He instead drove it to his ex's who threw a brick at it causing $500.00 in damage. He swore that he would fix it, but has since moved back with the ex and now says he has other priorities.

Although I will admit that at first I was upset over his decision, four months have passed and I have come to my senses and am thankful I didn't waste more time with him.

Only problem is my car is still messed up and I would like it fixed. What do you think are my chances of settling this in small claims court? And where should I start?

Thanks for your advice!

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

Exactly what is the nature of the damage to the car?

I think you have already answered most of your own question...."my only witness to the incident will lie." But to whom are you referring? Apparently there were two witnesses to the incident, your ex-boyfriend and the ex/present girlfriend.

Four months have passed....hmmm.

I don't know about Texas but in most states it is a crime to hurl or throw a missile at an occupied auto. Was he in the car?

You may want to speak to a friendly cop if you know of one or if you don't it may serve you best to report the incident by filing a complaint. Of course if you do that I hope you realize the "feathers will fly".

T

tjgray

I am thinking that really it is not worth the damage to have to deal with the hassle and that I should just cut my losses..after all it is I who actually got the better end of the deal =)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">