+ Reply to Thread
    mikehende is offline Junior Member

how to sue company in another State?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Not sure if this question belong sin this forum so anyone please advise.

I am in NY and contemplating purchasing products wholesale from companies located in other States in the US, since those companies only accept bank wire as payment and since wire payment offers me absolutely NO protection, I would like to know if I can sue a company located in another State without myself having to be there physically? Reason being is I figure it may cost me even more to be there on whatever court dates than the amount of money I will be trying to recover.
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Not sure if this question belong sin this forum so anyone please advise.

I am in NY and contemplating purchasing products wholesale from companies located in other States in the US, since those companies only accept bank wire as payment and since wire payment offers me absolutely NO protection, I would like to know if I can sue a company located in another State without myself having to be there physically? Reason being is I figure it may cost me even more to be there on whatever court dates than the amount of money I will be trying to recover.
    Can you do it personally? Generally, no. Some small claims courts do permit absentee filing, but you'd still have to eventually appear for a hearing. If the amount in controversy is higher than the small claims limit, then you'd have to hire a lawyer in the seller's state to pursue any claims.

Plan B is to add a clause in your contract with the seller stating that any suits or claims resulting from the agreement have to be brought in Court X in New York State. Of course, no seller in their right mind would ever willingly agree to this, but it costs nothing to ask.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.