• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to sue a local store that is part of a national chain?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suebestbuy

What is the name of your state? CA

I want to sue a local Best Buy store (specifically 3 managers) for breach of contract and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Do I have to file suit against the corp. headquarters or can I just sue the local store and serve those managers?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

suebestbuy said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I want to sue a local Best Buy store (specifically 3 managers) for breach of contract and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Do I have to file suit against the corp. headquarters or can I just sue the local store and serve those managers?

My response:

Yes, you file against BEST BUY COMPANY, INC., and the names of the three persons, and 50 DOE Defendants. You need to locate the Agent for Service of Process for the corporation, but you can serve the individually named persons at the store, itself.

I hope you have more than Breach of Contract. If you don't, you can't sue for intentional infliction of emotional distress in a contract case.

IAAL

suebestbuy

Yeah, I got more than breach of contract. I also have the coa of false advertising.

BB basically made me wait 2 hours at the store, under the false pretense and promise that an in-store advertisement will be honored as soon as the manager finds someone to help me. Once the cashier wasn't able to figure out how to ring up the items, another manager interferred and renege on the promise made by the first manager. I argued with him insisting that he honored the advertised price and the promise made by the other manager. He yelled and screamed and order me out of the store, with threat of physical force. I was with 2 children at the time and this was done in front of other customers.

Do I have the requisite COA to go forward? Thanks.

finniganps

I don't see what your damages are and how you'll prove them. Just let it go and do what I did when I had a really bad experience at Best Buy - NEVER shop there again and tell everyone you know about your experience. You'll feel a lot better letting it go. Every time my kids have a birthday party and I'm asked - would they like a gift certificate to BB, I tell them ANYWHERE but there and tell them how they treated me. Another friend of mine also had a bad experience there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">