• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to talk to judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ticketSadface

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I got a speeding ticket maybe 2 weeks ago now. I contested it, and plan on pleading guilty. I've heard that going to traffic school will sometimes be used as an alternative punishment to a speeding ticket.

The only thing I'm going to say to the judge is going to regard traffic school. I'm going to ask him if I can go to traffic school instead of paying the ticket. How do I talk to a judge and ask this? How do I ask it openly so that the judge will know I'm also willing to pay an amount of money, as long as it isn't a speeding ticket (for insurance purposes), along with going to traffic school?

"Your honor, I'd like to propose traffic school as punishment instead of the speeding ticket."

No? I'm supposed to say "your honor" right? Does that sound good? Should I add any other details? Maybe explain the website that offers this service? The website says that by completing their traffic school course they can expel a speeding ticket.

Thank you!

Karlq

"Your honor, I'd like to propose traffic school as punishment instead of the speeding ticket."
Your Honor is fine. I would not propose anything though. I do not believe there is such a procedure to opt out of a court imposed fine, but there is a way to eliminate points...

There is the free one day Maine Driving Dynamics driver-improvement course offered by the Bureau of Highway Safety. If you pass the course, you can get three points deducted from your driving record.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">