• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husbands ex sueing us for 6400.00

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fedup714

What is the name of your state?pa
sorry i have posted this elsewhere to no avail so here we go again.
my husband has an ex (never married) they have two kids. they were together for three years and had a joint account. in an effort to clean up his credit to secure a loan for a home she deposited money into their joint account and paid off some of his debts- she claims- to the tune of 6400.00. this was in march of 2003. we are now pregnant and having a baby and she is bringing this suit against us two years later. can she do this? it was a joint account and she wrote out the checks ( while they were living together) will this be another he said - she said battle in court becuase she claims it was a loan he says not. i have never been sued before and dont really no what to expect. i have recently bought a home. can she put a lien on my property if we are married. the house is only in my name and she is sueing my husband. isnt there a statute of limitations in pa?

please help, we already pay 216.00 a week in child support (for kids we have exactly half the time) and cant afford to lose any more money to this deadbeat that refuses to work.
thanks for any help you can offer

djohnson

Burden of proof will be on her in court to prove it was a loan. He needs to think about what she could have other than her word. If she can prove it, it'll be up to him to prove it wasn't.

Dandy Don

Ask your husband if he ever signed any document in writing agreeing that this was a loan or if terms for repayment were mentioned in the document. She probably has nothing in writing and if that is the case she is probably going to lose.

fedup714

he never signed anything its all he said she said stuffshes only sueing now because we are married and having a baby...baby momma drama...thanks for the input though :D

stephenk

Well did she pay off some of his debts? If yes, why won't your husband step up and be a man and pay her back?

He sounds like a winner: 2 kids out of wedlock, unable to pay his own debts, now married with pregnant wife, pregnant wife has to have house in her name only (hubby's bad credit record?)

fedup714

if i wanted judgemnet on my husband i would have asked for it, he was engaged to her and wanted to marry her, she wanted to cheat, hence the two babies out of wedlock. hes given her plenty of money even let her live there rent free without paying bills for almost a year to save money to buy her own house, she saved money for booze instead, so please tell me again why he should give her more money....

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

"hes given her plenty of money even let her live there rent free without paying bills for almost a year to save money to buy her own house,"

Tally up the money he has given her in actual cash and rent credits. You may find that the 'loan' has been repaid in full.

fedup714

yeah we got back statements and cancelled checks....shes only sueing us becuase she got arrested and has to pay back a family member for the bail they posted for her...real winner

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">