• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hypothetical: Taken to an event an hour's drive away and ditched... legal action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Contrarian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Any State

This is a scenario that came up on another forum. I remember in my brief time in law school, this scenario could be actionable, but I forget under what grounds and my Google-fu is coming up with scenarios completely unrelated to what I'm interested in.

Alice takes Bob to a sporting event over an hour away from where Bob lives. Alice and Bob are dating, and Alice finds out Bob cheated on her. As revenge, Alice ditches Bob at the stadium. An hour after having excused herself to go to the bathroom, and leaving the stadium herself, she sends him a text message that makes it clear she's left. Bob then has to pay $150 or so in cab fare to get home.

Does Bob have a claim against Alice? I don't believe there's a tort claim, but I would expect there is an implied contract of some sort. Or is there not?

Silverplum

I could be OP
You aren't wasting my time with this. Sue the bad lady in the applicable court in "Any State."

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Any State

This is a scenario that came up on another forum. I remember in my brief time in law school, this scenario could be actionable, but I forget under what grounds and my Google-fu is coming up with scenarios completely unrelated to what I'm interested in.

Alice takes Bob to a sporting event over an hour away from where Bob lives. Alice and Bob are dating, and Alice finds out Bob cheated on her. As revenge, Alice ditches Bob at the stadium. An hour after having excused herself to go to the bathroom, and leaving the stadium herself, she sends him a text message that makes it clear she's left. Bob then has to pay $150 or so in cab fare to get home.

Does Bob have a claim against Alice? I don't believe there's a tort claim, but I would expect there is an implied contract of some sort. Or is there not?

quincy

Thanks for the link, YAG. I apparently live in a different universe than the posters on that site (or I have a better vocabulary, at any rate).

This same "hypothetical" has been discussed on this forum before and, if I had the time or desire, I would search it out. But I don't so I won't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">