• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am a landlord getting sued for wrong reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ridgetop-proper

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

We purchased a property a few months ago. The lady that was living there had a one year lease that was transferred over to us after we bought it. She called me up one day and told me she was moving out but told her she was in a year lease and would at least if I decided to let her out of her lease, she would have to give me a 30 day notice and not a 9 day notice. Well I decided to let her out of her lease but told her she would lose her security deposit. Well she gave me the sad story (which I know now, not to give in anymore) but we came to an agreement that if she cleaned the place and I would give her back half of the deposit which I did and also if I rented the place out by the 8th of April I would give her the other half minus the days she lived there in April. Well I found someone to move in but they did not want to move in until the 9th. So now she is sueing me for the other half of her security deposit plus 8.00 a day interest which equal 1100.00. We went to court once and then went to a mediater and I did not agree to give her back her money due to the fact that I didn't have to give her back any and was being decent by giving her back even half of it and letting her out of her lease. Now we have to go to trial. Is it possible for me to countersue back, like for the other half of the security depsosit that I gave her or should I just let it go. THere is really no possible way she is going to win this case, do you think? I have papers upon papers prooving all my facts. Just really irritates me when you come across these people, try to be nice and then they stab you in your back. It makes me want to sue them back just to teach them a lesson (which it probably wouldn't teach them a dang thing).

FarmerJ

Did you still send her a final disposition letter that complys with your states laws after she moved out? if not a Judge could still award her something. Since it is already going to be heard in court thats just where it will be decided so good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">