• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a judgment in NJ, but the debtor's assets are in Maryland...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smartscrutiny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I was awarded a judgment in New Jersey against a debtor who has fled the state. An asset search turned up bank accounts in Maryland. Do I need to have the judgment domesticated in Maryland, or can I freeze his Maryland accounts with the NJ judgment?

Thanks in advance for any expertise anyone has on this!

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I was awarded a judgment in New Jersey against a debtor who has fled the state. An asset search turned up bank accounts in Maryland. Do I need to have the judgment domesticated in Maryland, or can I freeze his Maryland accounts with the NJ judgment?

Thanks in advance for any expertise anyone has on this!
Your New Jersey judgment has no extraterritorial effect until it is registered/domesticated in Maryland in conformity with Maryland’s 's Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgment Act.

See: Maryland Code Title 11 Judgments Subtitle 8 Section 11-802.

TigerD

And the correct answer is: It depends. Are the accounts at a national bank? Is the debtor's paycheck issued in Jersey and delivered to Maryland?

Generally, latigo is correct; but the devil is in the details.

DC

latigo

: . . . . It depends. Are the accounts at a national bank? Is the debtor's paycheck issued in Jersey and delivered to Maryland? . . .
With all respect due, the inferences from your inquiries are false as none of the conditions posed, if present, would alter the non-extraterritoriality quality the OP's New Jersey state court judgment!

We are talking simple geography here and whether the judgment debtor’s deposits are held as credits in a state chartered Maryland bank or one federally chartered under the various National Banking Acts is of no consequences whatsoever with respect to the question of a sister state’s extraterritorial jurisdiction. Nor does the originating source of those deposits have any legal significance upon this issue.

TigerD

With all respect due, the inferences from your inquiries are false as none of the conditions posed, if present, would alter the non-extraterritoriality quality the OP's New Jersey state court judgment!

We are talking simple geography here and whether the judgment debtor’s deposits are held as credits in a state chartered Maryland bank or one federally chartered under the various National Banking Acts is of no consequences whatsoever with respect to the question of a sister state’s extraterritorial jurisdiction. Nor does the originating source of those deposits have any legal significance upon this issue.
It makes a world of difference. Sorry, now you are just wrong. Actually, it makes the difference between getting paid and not getting paid in some cases. But as I said, the details count.

DC

TigerD

Actually you have yet to say anything!
<from my earlier post>And the correct answer is: It depends. Are the accounts at a national bank? Is the debtor's paycheck issued in Jersey and delivered to Maryland?

Generally, latigo is correct; but the devil is in the details. <done>

English is a complicated language. Perhaps some lessons are in order.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">