• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a really important and serious question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mata7692

Illinois

Okay so my mom used to work with this lady for a long time cleaning houses and out of nowhere that lady just stopped calling my mom or answering her calls. So she basically fired my my mom without telling her, on top of that she owes my mom like $210. My mom called her numerous times and left her a message about that and she doesn't respond to her messages. My mom wants to sue her for the money she owes her. I assume you would have to file a smalls claim. But is that okay for that lady to just fire her without telling her? And that lady doesn't even pay tax or anything and she lets people use her kids social securitys if they pay her. That is very illegal so can my mom do something about that? We don't know how all this court stuff works so what do you guys suggest we do? Get a lawyer first??

Hot Topic

There is no "we." As the adult in the family, your mother will have to take care of this herself.

Unless there's a contract that says your mother has to be employed for a certain amount of time, the lady can stop calling her to come over and clean any time she wants. It may not be nice not to tell her, but it's not illegal.

Your mother should be posting instead of you so some things would be a little more clear. She can take the lady to court but she must have proof about her kid's Social Security number and how much she is owed.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Illinois

Okay so my mom used to work with this lady for a long time cleaning houses and out of nowhere that lady just stopped calling my mom or answering her calls. So she basically fired my my mom without telling her, on top of that she owes my mom like $210. My mom called her numerous times and left her a message about that and she doesn't respond to her messages. My mom wants to sue her for the money she owes her. I assume you would have to file a smalls claim. But is that okay for that lady to just fire her without telling her? And that lady doesn't even pay tax or anything and she lets people use her kids social securitys if they pay her. That is very illegal so can my mom do something about that? We don't know how all this court stuff works so what do you guys suggest we do? Get a lawyer first??
Your mom can sue this lady if she wishes. It is also perfectly legal for this woman to just fire her without telling her.

You are concerned with your mother not paying taxes now, but she was perfectly fine working "under the table" when it benefitted her, right?

Mom is a big girl, let her take care of herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">