• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have someone's coffee machine and they want it back one way only...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimmyligwenza

Pennsylvania

I was allowed to borrow an expensive coffee machine from a former friend for an extended period of time. The friend stated I could borrow it as long as I want. Since we are no longer friends, he wants it back. That's fine; I'm happy to return the machine to him in the same condition received. My problem is his request for how I return it.

The friend keeps emailing me asking me to come to his house to return the machine. I have stated in email that I do not feel comfortable coming to his house and would drop it off at the police department or township building where he works. He stated he wouldn't accept it in that case and would file a formal complaint of a valued item. What are my options?

I understand I can mail it to his house, but I'm interested in understanding any alternatives since the machine is about 25 pounds and would cost a pretty penny to ship to his location. I'm willing to do that if I have no alternatives.

Thank you for helping.

J.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pennsylvania

I was allowed to borrow an expensive coffee machine from a former friend for an extended period of time. The friend stated I could borrow it as long as I want. Since we are no longer friends, he wants it back. That's fine; I'm happy to return the machine to him in the same condition received. My problem is his request for how I return it.

The friend keeps emailing me asking me to come to his house to return the machine. I have stated in email that I do not feel comfortable coming to his house and would drop it off at the police department or township building where he works. He stated he wouldn't accept it in that case and would file a formal complaint of a valued item. What are my options?

I understand I can mail it to his house, but I'm interested in understanding any alternatives since the machine is about 25 pounds and would cost a pretty penny to ship to his location. I'm willing to do that if I have no alternatives.

Thank you for helping.

J.
Oh brother - go drop it off :rolleyes:

jimmyligwenza

To make a long story short, there have been uncomfortable emails sent to me from this person requesting me to come to his house to discuss the situation and such. The point of the matter is I don't want to see this person and feel uncomfortable going to his house. Are there other methods, or not?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To make a long story short, there have been uncomfortable emails sent to me from this person requesting me to come to his house to discuss the situation and such. The point of the matter is I don't want to see this person and feel uncomfortable going to his house. Are there other methods, or not?
Have a buddy drop it off.

justalayman

How did you come to possess it: did he deliver it, you picked it up, or some other means?

If you picked it up, from where?

I would suggest having a friend drop it off at his house but I suspect you don't have any so that's probably out.

So here's what you do. Find the local chapter of whatever motorcycle club is in your area. If you don't have a motorcycle you'll have to get one. Depending on the club it may have to be a specific brand so make sure whatever you purchase is acceptable at whatever club you have in the area.

So anyway, once you get yore motorcycle, Go to the club. Tell them you want to join. It might take some serious effort on your part but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

So, once you have established yourself as a full fledged member of the club you will have a right to ask favors of others.

So, what you do is round up a couple dozen of your club members, grab the coffee maker and ride on over to the owners house. Knock on the door, making sure when the guy answers he can see your "friends". Then simply hand the coffee maker to him and say: we're good now, right? (For a bit of effect you can kind of use your head to motion to the guys behind you).

I suspect guy will be quite courteous and accept the coffee maker without further comment.

Obviously should be have a complaint you simply invite yourself and friends in to "discuss the matter".

After a few weeks of having houseguests and growing tired of all the fun everybody is having, he'll kindly excuse himself and find another place to live. Just remind him to take his coffee maker with him so you don't have to do this all over at his new place.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Shipping via UPS should cost less than $30. A few dollars more if you want to insure it for more than $50.
You can track it online and print a proof of delivery.

jimmyligwenza

Some of you guys are truly brilliant... I came here because I wanted to know legally if I had to drop it off at his house or if there are ways around that. As clearly stated in my question, he wouldn't accept it unless I brought it personally to his house and would file a formal complaint of a valued item if I didn't proceed in that manner.

If those of you are not trying to be helpful, then why post anything at all?

RRevak

[QUOTE)=justalayman;3380552]How did you come to possess it: did he deliver it, you picked it up, or some other means?

If you picked it up, from where?

I would suggest having a friend drop it off at his house but I suspect you don't have any so that's probably out.

So here's what you do. Find the local chapter of whatever motorcycle club is in your area. If you don't have a motorcycle you'll have to get one. Depending on the club it may have to be a specific brand so make sure whatever you purchase is acceptable at whatever club you have in the area.

So anyway, once you get yore motorcycle, Go to the club. Tell them you want to join. It might take some serious effort on your part but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

So, once you have established yourself as a full fledged member of the club you will have a right to ask favors of others.

So, what you do is round up a couple dozen of your club members, grab the coffee maker and ride on over to the owners house. Knock on the door, making sure when the guy answers he can see your "friends". Then simply hand the coffee maker to him and say: we're good now, right? (For a bit of effect you can kind of use your head to motion to the guys behind you).

I suspect guy will be quite courteous and accept the coffee maker without further comment.

Obviously should be have a complaint you simply invite yourself and friends in to "discuss the matter".

After a few weeks of having houseguests and growing tired of all the fun everybody is having, he'll kindly excuse himself and find another place to live. Just remind him to take his coffee maker with him so you don't have to do this all over at his new place.[/QUOTE]

Op obviously doesn't have enough money to ship the coffee maker so he/she won't be able to afford to buy his own Harley (it's almost always a Harley w "those" guys). I vote OP offer to wash all their Harleys, as well as buy all the beer and smokes, in exchange for the privilege of being seen with them. Maybe if he/she washes the bikes nicely enough and buys only the finest Natty Ice beer, one of them will take pity and offer to ride over (with OP sitting backside of course) and hang out in the driveway while OP gives the coffee maker back. BUT, that deal doesn't include the protective services of said biker man so if it's protection OP needs then another deal might need to be struck.

RRevak

Some of you guys are truly brilliant... I came here because I wanted to know legally if I had to drop it off at his house or if there are ways around that. As clearly stated in my question, he wouldn't accept it unless I brought it personally to his house and would file a formal complaint of a valued item if I didn't proceed in that manner.

If those of you are not trying to be helpful, then why post anything at all?
Person, you're being ridiculous. The person might be afraid of the item getting damaged by shipping or being lost entirely which are both valid reasons for not wanting it shipped. Especially if its particularly expensive. Grow up and drop off the coffee maker at the person's house like an adult. If you're afraid then drop it off when you know they won't be home.

justalayman

RRevak,

It's obvious you've never been in s biker club

Washing the bikes? Heresy

I suspect they will have some activity available that might endear op to them such they would do a favor though.

Jimmy, ya want a cheap solution?

Stake out the guys house. When you are certain he is home wait until it is obvious he's home for awhile. Then sneak up to his door and set the coffee maker down. Bang on the door and run but don't run too far. You want to be able to take a picture of the guy standing next to the coffee maker.

Once you get the pic, run away.

If he bothers you again file for a restraining order.

This way if he makes a police complaint or sues you you have proof you returned it.

RRevak

RRevak,

It's obvious you've never been in s biker club

Washing the bikes? Heresy
Yep, gotta be honest in saying that my biker club experience is nil. :D
So they never wash them!? Yikes! Gee, that means my family must not be "biker" enough. I swear the ones who have Harleys keep them so clean and polished that they could be eaten off of! My uncle alone washes his every 2 weeks like clockwork :p

justalayman

Yep, gotta be honest in saying that my biker club experience is nil. :D
So they never wash them!? Yikes! Gee, that means my family must not be "biker" enough. I swear the ones who have Harleys keep them so clean and polished that they could be eaten off of! My uncle alone washes his every 2 weeks like clockwork :p
I'm betting uncle doesn't belong to a biker "club".

One of the old initiation rituals of an unnamed club was you wore your vest (no badges yet) for some specified period of time, without washing it. That's not s big deal until you realize that is after it has been poo'd upon and it thoroughly, um, integrated with the vest.

Yes, there are bike (no r) clubs that are clubs but then there are biker (with an r) "clubs" that are not your typical club.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">