• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a unresponsive out of state client.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChefV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA and the client is located in IL.

Long story short, I developed a relationship with this client whose intention was to open a franchise of restaurants and as a restaurant designer, I sent along out standard agreement for requesting our services that include fees and so on. In good faith we began work on the project and when we received the agreement back, apparently the client post dated his signature which I know isn't a big deal.

The problem is that we have provided 60% of the services he requested purchase of and when we bring up payment, he does not respond. I finally sent an invoice for the services we have provided via email, which total $5,500 and have officially requested payment. Needless to say, I have not heard back. I know he is having financial issues with the project from a banking standpoint, as we all are but since he isn't responding, I'm not sure what to do.

I am new to legalities of this since we normally require payment before we ever start a project so I'm not sure what my options are for collecting payment... Should I hire an attorney and sue him or call a collections agency. Legally, I don't know which direction to go, my only idea is blackball him in the industry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">