• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I just want my ring!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goldberri98

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? The business in question is in North Carolina, and I live in Virginia.

I took my engagement ring to a jewelry shop to have the prongs replaced. I was told that I would be contacted when the repairs were complete, but I have not been contacted by the shop yet. I took it to them over a year ago, and have been trying repeatedly to get in touch with them to get my ring back; the phone is very rarely answered at the shop, and the times when I've gone to the store to talk to someone about the situation in person, noone is there (during normal business hours). I recently sent a letter via certified mail, which was returned to me after remaining unclaimed for several weeks, though I spoke to the owner of the store and informed him that there was a letter waiting for him at the post office (delivery had been attempted, but as is usually the case, noone was there to claim it, so a notice was left).

There is no doubt that I'm getting the short end of the stick here; I've lost my engagement ring, and my patience. I'm ready and willing to take the case to small claims court, but I have a problem. I cannot find the claims slip for the ring. Had I known I would still be waiting to get my ring back a year later, I would've framed it and hung it on the wall, but it is nowhere to be found. My husband (then fiancee) and I were both present when they received the ring for repairs- will our testimony to this be sufficient? Any other advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if this will help but...

1. Do you have a copy of the purchase reciept (value) of the ring?
2. Was the diamond certified?(there have been many stories of diamonds being switched)
3. How did you pay them to fix the ring?via CC or check or debit card? (all those can be found or copies from those companies)
4. How long had you had the engagement ring before you took it into be repronged? (did it really need the work or were you being scammed)
5. Do you remember the name of the person who you gave the ring to at the store?

If you have this information then even without the claims forms you may be able to have luck in small claims court.

I am not a lawyer I am just trying to give you advice. Let me know. Thanks

Goldberri98

1. The ring was purchased by my grandmother more than twenty years ago, so we haven't got the receipt. (She gave it to my mother, after Dad gave her an "engagement camper"; being a proper southern lady, Grandma wanted her daughter-in-law to have an engagement ring.)
2. Again, we don't have any specific information on the ring/stone.
3. It was to be paid upon receipt, as they weren't certain what it was going to take to fix it.
4. I'd had it about five months, and brought it there because one of the prongs was broken off, and the stone was wobbling.
5. The proprietor's wife filled out the slip for us, and took the ring in.

I just can't stand it when people are dishonest and sneaky with me, which is all these people have been. I can't get in touch with them without jumping through hoops, they've ignored my attempts to contact them, and it's just not right. :(

Thank you for any advice you can offer- I'm at my wit's end!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">