• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I let my ex use my credit card...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

808Dave

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

It's actually my sister that is having trouble, but anyway, here's the story.

My sister was dating somebody, at the time, she got a second credit card and allowed him to charge things on it. She purchased a laptop and printer for him to use with a verbal understanding that the computer was hers. She purchased a cell phone for him and added it to her calling plan. Credit card debt and cell phone bills add up to about $4000.

Naturally, they broke up, he refused to pay her back for anything and refused to return the laptop. It's been roughly a year, but in a fit of anger/stupidity, she recently used his checking account # to make a $200 purchase online.

He noticed, threatened legal action, and now she doesn't know what to do.

I figure that she will have to pay up for the online purchase. What are her chances of getting anything back? Will she be able to take back the laptop, printer, or get compensation for the credit card and cell phone bills?

Last edited:

Veronica1228

808Dave said:
What is the name of your state? Hawaii

It's actually my sister that is having trouble, but anyway, here's the story.

My sister was dating somebody, at the time, she got a second credit card and allowed him to charge things on it. She purchased a laptop and printer for him to use with a verbal understanding that the computer was hers. She purchased a cell phone for him and added it to her calling plan. Credit card debt and cell phone bills add up to about $4000.

Naturally, they broke up, he refused to pay her back for anything and refused to return the laptop. It's been roughly a year, but in a fit of anger/stupidity, she recently used his checking account # to make a $200 purchase online.

I figure that she will have to pay up for the online purchase. What are her chances of getting anything back? Will she be able to take back the laptop, printer, or get compensation for the credit card and cell phone bills?
First of all, what you sister did is fraud which is a serious felony. If her ex decides to file charges, she could actually go to jail. I'd be worrying about that more than her getting her money back from him.

She is in a very bad situation. She has very little standing on the issue of her ex owing her money. She allowed him the use of her cards, so this was authorized. She could try to take him to Small Claims Court, but with this fraud hanging over her head, the ex could just decide to put her in jail.

Either way, she will be the loser in all of this. Get a lawyer like yesterday.

JETX

808Dave said:
It's been roughly a year, but in a fit of anger/stupidity, she recently used his checking account # to make a $200 purchase online.

I figure that she will have to pay up for the online purchase.
At the very least. What she did was criminal and should could be facing charges for that.

What are her chances of getting anything back?
Zero!

Will she be able to take back the laptop, printer, or get compensation for the credit card and cell phone bills?
Only if she were to sue him and the court grants here a MONEY judgment against him..... and she is able to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">