• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I live in Ohio, how does PA small claims court laws/settlements affect me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bill meyers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. I live in Ohio. I have an uncle who wants to take me to small claims court in PA over a verbal contract dispute. If he wins will he be able to attach my wages or have my bank accounts siezed or property sold by a constible or sheriff of PA to satify the debt?:confused:

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. I live in Ohio. I have an uncle who wants to take me to small claims court in PA over a verbal contract dispute. If he wins will he be able to attach my wages or have my bank accounts siezed or property sold by a constible or sheriff of PA to satify the debt?:confused:
What are your ties to Pennsylvania? Lived there? Work there?

bill meyers

I believe I stated the work at the beginning of 2011. I would stay at his house for about a week at a time every month or so. The verbal agreement was for remolding two rooms in his house for 3000.00 dollars. I was only able to finish 3/4 of the work because of medical reasons. I offered to repay 1/2 but he refused and wanted 2600.00. When I told him I didn't have that kind of money, he threatened to take me to small claims court and now wants almost 4000.00 dollars.

Proserpina

I believe I stated the work at the beginning of 2011. I would stay at his house for about a week at a time every month or so. The verbal agreement was for remolding two rooms in his house for 3000.00 dollars. I was only able to finish 3/4 of the work because of medical reasons. I offered to repay 1/2 but he refused and wanted 2600.00. When I told him I didn't have that kind of money, he threatened to take me to small claims court and now wants almost 4000.00 dollars.

What sort of proof exists (either of you)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I never had a change of address or anything like that. This was all verbal and I was paid in cash.
PA has jurisdiction over you because it deals with a contract performed in PA and you went to PA to do the work. You can be sued in PA. The order can then be registered in Ohio and your wages garnished.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">