• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice Property Related Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boogles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Im gonna try and make this as simple as possible, not a very litigious person, don't really care for the acrimony in it all. However, I was married then divorced. I signed an MSA which included my property. Ive asked for it, more like demanded it written and verbally about 20 times over the period of two years directly and through my exwifes attorney. Everytime, I'm met with Resistance and Control over the property which is located 250 miles away in a different county. Still to this day my property just sits there.
Now the agreement to house my stuff was not made between me and my ex wife, it was her father. So its pointless to seek the property through the family court. It is also her fathers house whom my ex wife does not live with. The other caveat is that I am a partner in a Limited Liability Company, whose primary business is software development. All the software, my work product, etc is on hard drives in my exwifes fathers house. My company was not contemplated or included in the MSA. To date, I have lost nearly 53,000 dollars in online sales due to the fact that I can not sell what I dont have.
I have done a bit of homework on the issue, is this conversion or tresspass against chattel when I am entitled to the property, I have demanded my propertys return, and yet for nearly two years I get pushed around, told to come get it drive 250 miles only to be told something came up etc. Ive been harmed of course financially.

Is suing for the loss of business proceeds worth it? If so, conversion or tresspass?

Once again not an attorney and I welcome all advice, I hate that divorces have to be so nasty. I just want to move on (with my stuff) :)

Dave1952

What's this got to do with your divorce? When your marriage ended you stored your property with your ex father in law for some reason. Since that time he has been holding your property. You are unable to claim it though you do not explain why.
Now please fill in the blanks

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

... I signed an MSA which included my property. Ive asked for it, more like demanded it written and verbally about 20 times over the period of two years directly and through my exwifes attorney ... Now the agreement to house my stuff was not made between me and my ex wife, it was her father ... All the software, my work product, etc is on hard drives in my exwifes fathers house ... for nearly two years I get pushed around, told to come get it drive 250 miles only to be told something came up etc. ...

Is suing for the loss of business proceeds worth it? If so, conversion or tresspass? ...
How did your father-in-law come into possession of your personal goods?

Have you filed a police report?

Have you considered having the police accompany you to the father-in-law's home on a prearranged date and time for retrieval of your property?

I agree with Dave1952 that blanks need to be filled in.

Conversion: Any unauthorized act which deprives an owner of his property permanently or for an indefinite time. Unauthorized and wrongful exercise of dominion and control over another's personal property, to exclusion of or inconsistent with rights of owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">