• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help finding out my damages? (NYS)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reknar

I need help finding out my damages? (NYS)
I had the sheriff's office perform an illegal public tow-away with a traffic ticket for 1201a. The vehicle was disabled with a note on it on the side of the roadway, and the officer apparently neglected to read 1201b, or any of the laws giving me the right to get home to charge my phone and call AAA to tow it. I couldn't afford to pay to remove the vehicle at the time from the lot it was towed too, so I fought all the way up to the Sergeant, who then told me that even if it was illegal, it would need to be taken to small claims court. I have no one to ask for legal advice, and being that they refused to just release my car when I requested, I no longer am just seeking compensation for the tow bill. I don't really know how to value my damages for the small claims court, so I was wondering if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction? I will list out any damages I can think of below.

Thanks for your time,

The Parking ticket itself (although I think that will just be waived)
17.50 in bus fares.
two cab fares to get home ($22.50 and $19.50)
three days without a car
16 hours of a temporary job I had for the next two days through a temp agency ($10/hour), it was an hour away and there was no public transportation available.
We obviously couldn't perform the necessary repairs while it was in the lot, and I couldn't get a mechanic over the weekend, so I don't know if I can appeal this, but I'm going to go at least 3 more days without a repaired vehicle. (6 days total)
inability to schedule interviews for permanent employment for the both of us

P.S. This was also a major inconvenience I would never wish upon anyone else or myself ever again, and put a lot of stress on us, winning this isn't going to give us the time back and the things we could have done all our laundry was in the car during the breakdown, and we had to sit at home during all my time off) is there any way I can have the sheriff's office ordered to review the laws in the hopes that this NEVER happens again?

racer72

From 1201b.
to such extent that it is impossible to avoid stopping
and temporarily leaving such disabled vehicle in such position.
I would bet the officer did not think
and the officer apparently neglected to read 1201b, or any of the laws giving me the right to get home to charge my phone and call AAA to tow it.
was temporarily leaving the vehicle. I personally could see 5 to 15 minutes, not an hour or 2 to travel back and forth to your home and charge your phone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">