• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i was NOT served, said i was

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crimsondynamo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? i am a canadian citizen we have had a dog given to us more than a month ago and today an officer of the court took him away. he says the former owners served us by posting it on our door. that is NOT the case. we are eminently available, and no effort was made to contact us. the law states that you must have some form of receipt of service. the honest truth is we received nothing. we were not able to defend ourselves in a court of law. how can we prove this??? Had we been given the opportunity we would most definitely been there to defend ourselves. we have vet bills, and city registration, among numerous things, that were conveyed to the previous owners. they had no objection at that time. the fact is we did not receive any papers, nor do i believe was there ever any effort to contact us or serve said papers. anyone could say they posted it to our door. there were numerous other ways of contacting us. in person as well.

FlyingRon

Unless this took place in the United States (if so please indicate the state),it's outside the scope of this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">