• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Only Want What's Mine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sanddengel

What is the name of your state? PA

On August 30th, 2006, I was called about an ad I put in the paper stating that I was available to baby-sit kids. After agreeing on the rate, the couple told me they were interested in having me watch their three children. I was called back a day or two later, when the wife re-stated their interest in my service. Within the next couple of days, the couple and two of their children came to my house to visit, obviously still interested. We discussed the date that I would begin watching the children, and they were given a letter re-stating the cost. On September 5th, 2006, I watched your children for the first time. I watched them again on September 13th, and again on September 20th. After that date, they unexpectedly stopped bring their children to me.

As each week went by, I had asked for payment. I never got a payment, only excuses for not paying. On several occasions, I was told by at least one of them, that they would bring me my money (at a certain time). On each of these occasions, I waited, but no one ever showed up. They both stated that they weren’t trying to avoid paying me, but yet, when I called them to ask about getting my money, they wouldn’t even take my calls. They started having their answering machine take my calls, instead. I left several messages asking them to please return my calls so we could work something out. They never returned a single call. Once I did get through, and they told me to stop calling and bugging them about this. I only wanted them to pay me for watching their kids.

It has now been around 10 weeks, and I still have not gotten any payment, or a reason for not getting any payment. I have been very patient. I told them that if they had at least given me a reason that they couldn’t give me the money, I would have worked with them. They had no response to anything.

I called again this morning to ask if they had my money yet, and I was told to stop calling them or they would have me arrested for harassment. I simply want to be paid for the services I provided them. They don't think they've done anything wrong by refusing to pay me.

My question is...what can I do about it? I don't have anything in writing, although I do have a record of the days and times those children were here and under my care. Who can I go to for help without going to court? Please, any advice is appreciated. I don't want to let them get away with this. I provided a service for them and I deserve to be paid for it.What is the name of your state?

BL

What is the name of your state? PA

On August 30th, 2006, I was called about an ad I put in the paper stating that I was available to baby-sit kids. After agreeing on the rate, the couple told me they were interested in having me watch their three children. I was called back a day or two later, when the wife re-stated their interest in my service. Within the next couple of days, the couple and two of their children came to my house to visit, obviously still interested. We discussed the date that I would begin watching the children, and they were given a letter re-stating the cost. On September 5th, 2006, I watched your children for the first time. I watched them again on September 13th, and again on September 20th. After that date, they unexpectedly stopped bring their children to me.

As each week went by, I had asked for payment. I never got a payment, only excuses for not paying. On several occasions, I was told by at least one of them, that they would bring me my money (at a certain time). On each of these occasions, I waited, but no one ever showed up. They both stated that they weren’t trying to avoid paying me, but yet, when I called them to ask about getting my money, they wouldn’t even take my calls. They started having their answering machine take my calls, instead. I left several messages asking them to please return my calls so we could work something out. They never returned a single call. Once I did get through, and they told me to stop calling and bugging them about this. I only wanted them to pay me for watching their kids.

It has now been around 10 weeks, and I still have not gotten any payment, or a reason for not getting any payment. I have been very patient. I told them that if they had at least given me a reason that they couldn’t give me the money, I would have worked with them. They had no response to anything.

I called again this morning to ask if they had my money yet, and I was told to stop calling them or they would have me arrested for harassment. I simply want to be paid for the services I provided them. They don't think they've done anything wrong by refusing to pay me.

My question is...what can I do about it? I don't have anything in writing, although I do have a record of the days and times those children were here and under my care. Who can I go to for help without going to court? Please, any advice is appreciated. I don't want to let them get away with this. I provided a service for them and I deserve to be paid for it.What is the name of your state?
Are you a minor or an adult?

Was there a signed and dated contract ?

sanddengel

I am an adult, and no, there was no signed contract, only a verbal agreement. I believe they were out to scam me from the beginning. Isn't that called theft by deception?

BelizeBreeze

I am an adult, and no, there was no signed contract, only a verbal agreement. I believe they were out to scam me from the beginning. Isn't that called theft by deception?
No, it's called go to small claims court and file an action against them for services rendered. The actions of watching the children validate the verbal contract. Of course, you will have to povide the court with proof that you had agreed on a price.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">