• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I recieved a gift from my now x-girlfriend's dad and now he wants it back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tjjoyce

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a 21 year old college student. From the time I was 16 until very recently I was involved in a relationship with a girl one year younger than I. Approximately September of 2002 I overheard a conversation between my gf and her father in which a mention was made concerning his 53" bigscreen TV. He had just purchased a fancy new plasma TV and was going to give his bigscreen away to whoever came to install the new one. Upon hearing this, I said I would gladly drive the 2 hours to retrieve the TV if he planned on just giving it away. Incidentally, at the time I had a very nice 36" tv that I sold soon after returning home with the new bigscreen. There was never any mention of payment, nor any expectation for the TV to be returned as far as I could tell. There is no doubt in my mind it was given to me as a gift.

Not too long ago my gf and I had an unfortunate falling out due to difference in lifestyles and direction. Due to an embarrasing lapse of judgement, she discovered a week after the split I had slept with another girl around June or July of 2002. At the time we were taking a "break" from one another due to an excessive amount of time spent together that created massives amounts of tension between us. Well, today she called and said her father wants the TV back within a week.

My question is this: is he entitled to ask for the TV back? We were never married, have never lived together, and never had any financial attachement between us. I was under the impression he was going to give it away anyways and it didn't make any difference who got it. In my book that is a gift. I am terribly sorry things ended the way they did, and I regret my past actions, but I don't feel it is apporpriate to ask for a gift back.

My father is upper-middle class but her father is a wealthy accountant/businessman who surely has many more legal connections than I. After speaking with my dad, he told me to write her dad a letter explaining that there are a lot of emotions running rampant and maybe it is a good idea to relax on the whole situation for a while. He doesn't need the TV and as soon as he calms down perhaps it won't be such an issue. She is his only daughter and although I don't actually know how it feels, I imagine he is very upset with me for hurting his daughter.

I tried to be as fair and accurate as possible in my story, so based on the information am I correct in my assumptions? I am willing to fight to keep the TV, but not if it means a war.

Thank you for your help ahead of time.

HomeGuru

tjjoyce said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a 21 year old college student. From the time I was 16 until very recently I was involved in a relationship with a girl one year younger than I. Approximately September of 2002 I overheard a conversation between my gf and her father in which a mention was made concerning his 53" bigscreen TV. He had just purchased a fancy new plasma TV and was going to give his bigscreen away to whoever came to install the new one. Upon hearing this, I said I would gladly drive the 2 hours to retrieve the TV if he planned on just giving it away. Incidentally, at the time I had a very nice 36" tv that I sold soon after returning home with the new bigscreen. There was never any mention of payment, nor any expectation for the TV to be returned as far as I could tell. There is no doubt in my mind it was given to me as a gift.

Not too long ago my gf and I had an unfortunate falling out due to difference in lifestyles and direction. Due to an embarrasing lapse of judgement, she discovered a week after the split I had slept with another girl around June or July of 2002. At the time we were taking a "break" from one another due to an excessive amount of time spent together that created massives amounts of tension between us. Well, today she called and said her father wants the TV back within a week.

My question is this: is he entitled to ask for the TV back? We were never married, have never lived together, and never had any financial attachement between us. I was under the impression he was going to give it away anyways and it didn't make any difference who got it. In my book that is a gift. I am terribly sorry things ended the way they did, and I regret my past actions, but I don't feel it is apporpriate to ask for a gift back.

My father is upper-middle class but her father is a wealthy accountant/businessman who surely has many more legal connections than I. After speaking with my dad, he told me to write her dad a letter explaining that there are a lot of emotions running rampant and maybe it is a good idea to relax on the whole situation for a while. He doesn't need the TV and as soon as he calms down perhaps it won't be such an issue. She is his only daughter and although I don't actually know how it feels, I imagine he is very upset with me for hurting his daughter.

I tried to be as fair and accurate as possible in my story, so based on the information am I correct in my assumptions? I am willing to fight to keep the TV, but not if it means a war.

Thank you for your help ahead of time.
**A: if you think you can prove in the court of law that the tv was a gift, keep it. Otherwise, return it.

T

tjjoyce

Re: Re: I recieved a gift from my now x-girlfriend's dad and now he wants it back

HomeGuru said:
**A: if you think you can prove in the court of law that the tv was a gift, keep it. Otherwise, return it.
Excuse my niavity, but what constitues proof? I understand only fighting for what is best in the long run, which very well may be to give up the TV, but from a purely legal standpoint what is actually going oN?

stephenk

since you only heard from your now ex-girlfriend, I would wait and do nothing. Let's see if her dad contacts you. I would bet he knows nothing about what his daughter is saying to you about the TV.

T

tjjoyce

stephenk said:
since you only heard from your now ex-girlfriend, I would wait and do nothing. Let's see if her dad contacts you. I would bet he knows nothing about what his daughter is saying to you about the TV.
Very true point. It is equally possible she is so angry that just came out. Technically she can't ask me to return anything that isnt hers. Just humor me though, what if her dad does actually contact me and request that I return the TV?

In a perfect world nobody would have to deal with this.

stephenk

if her dad calls you, tell him that you considered the TV payment for installing his plasma TV and for getting it out of his house. make sure you point out, respectfully, that at no time did he ever put any condition on you keeping the TV if you and his daughter broke up or that the TV was some kind of loan.

if he sends you a letter, write back with the same respectful tone and detail the facts again on how he offered the TV, etc.

HomeGuru

Hmmmmm, if the writer was 16 and the girl was 15, I am sure Dad's corporate legal eagles could find some things to complain about.

T

tjjoyce

Actually, I'm 21 now. We only started dating when we were that age.

Ladynred

I believe HG is implying that 'other' things were going on that would be considered a felony where a minor female is concerned.. capice ? Lawyers WILL stoop as low as they need to go for some clients.

HomeGuru

Ladynred said:
I believe HG is implying that 'other' things were going on that would be considered a felony where a minor female is concerned.. capice ? Lawyers WILL stoop as low as they need to go for some clients.
**A: that's correct. Some lawyers have even sold their souls to the devil. And the devil has refused to buy some lawyer souls on several occasions.

T

tjjoyce

I know, i've seen devil's advocate ;) I'm not concerend about any age related issues, and if hell does freeze over than I'll just give him the damn thing.

K

kbear71

IMO-

Just give the item back. It is not worth all the trouble it is going to cause, especially if you have to go to court. Chalk it up to experience and remember that nothing is really a gift unless you bought it for yourself.

W

wukie2001

kbear71 said:
remember that nothing is really a gift unless you bought it for yourself.
gift - from dictionary.com

Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">