• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I repossessed my own vehicle..friend wants stuff back!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbiek1969

Hello all! I have a truck that I have financed for a friend. He has breeched a contract we had about if he missed a payment, gave a late payment, or had no insurance that I would repo the truck. After calling him (he disconnected his phone) and numerous messages on Facebook (only known contact for him) NO response for 2 months. Now he has not paid me for 2 months and found out that he had no insurance, I repossessed the truck. He IMMEDIATELY messaged me on Facebook, mind you, no contact from him for almost 2 months, he NOW tries to contact me, begging me to get the truck back to him that he is screwed without it; that he wants to work things out. Well..now knowing that the truck will be repossessed any time soon, he leaves his personal items in there..work clothes and wallet and I-Pass. I sent him the important things..wallet and I-Pass but kept his other things. I refuse to give him anything else because I wound up paying the 2 months delinquent payments PLUS reinstated the insurance. Not to mention he was driving through tollways without paying and the truck that is registered in only MY name gets many violations which I am responsible for. After leaving MORE messages on Facebook, he STILL hasn't got to me but daily goes to the police station and complains about wanting his work clothes back. Bottom line, can I take him to small claims court to recover the money I dished out for the delinquent payments AND insurance? Or should I just give him the stuff (it's a pair of boots, coveralls and a jacket) without him giving me any money that he owes me? Any feedback will be VERY appreciated! Barb
OH...I spoke to the police in his district and he said as long as I gave him back the wallet and I-Pass(which I sent the next day of his first complaint...WAA WAA WAA) the supervisor said there is nothing they will do as far as try to have him get his stuff because it's not valuable property.

sandyclaus

Hello all! I have a truck that I have financed for a friend. He has breeched a contract we had about if he missed a payment, gave a late payment, or had no insurance that I would repo the truck. After calling him (he disconnected his phone) and numerous messages on Facebook (only known contact for him) NO response for 2 months. Now he has not paid me for 2 months and found out that he had no insurance, I repossessed the truck. He IMMEDIATELY messaged me on Facebook, mind you, no contact from him for almost 2 months, he NOW tries to contact me, begging me to get the truck back to him that he is screwed without it; that he wants to work things out. Well..now knowing that the truck will be repossessed any time soon, he leaves his personal items in there..work clothes and wallet and I-Pass. I sent him the important things..wallet and I-Pass but kept his other things. I refuse to give him anything else because I wound up paying the 2 months delinquent payments PLUS reinstated the insurance. Not to mention he was driving through tollways without paying and the truck that is registered in only MY name gets many violations which I am responsible for. After leaving MORE messages on Facebook, he STILL hasn't got to me but daily goes to the police station and complains about wanting his work clothes back. Bottom line, can I take him to small claims court to recover the money I dished out for the delinquent payments AND insurance? Or should I just give him the stuff (it's a pair of boots, coveralls and a jacket) without him giving me any money that he owes me? Any feedback will be VERY appreciated! Barb
OH...I spoke to the police in his district and he said as long as I gave him back the wallet and I-Pass(which I sent the next day of his first complaint...WAA WAA WAA) the supervisor said there is nothing they will do as far as try to have him get his stuff because it's not valuable property.
You already have the truck. Your contract does not allow you to keep his personal items. Even a repo agent working for a finance company will return personal items to the person from whom they repossess a vehicle.

Stop withholding his personal property. Return it to them, and sue them in small claims court for the money you are owed. If you don't, you could potentially find yourself on the losing end of a lawsuit that he decides to file against you.

barbiek1969

Thank you Sandyclause...I kinda figured it would go this route. I don't want to see the guy, nor do I want him at my house to pick up the items...I told the police dept that I could drop the items off at the station but the supervisor told me he doesn't want anything left there and will not be held responsible if it gets taken..now what!? I am afraid of my so-called "friend because I don't know what he's capable of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">