• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I slipped on ice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharondanberry

What is the name of your state? MN

While picking up my paycheck, at my employers rented office, I slipped on ice in the parking lot (there was alot of it!), and broke my arm. My employer requires all employees to use a certain door and I was parked 10 feet from that door. I stepped out of my car and immediately slipped and fell. Am I solely responsible for Doctor bills and lost wages due to fractured right arm and shoulder dislocation caused by this accident?

badapple40

sharondanberry said:
What is the name of your state? MN

While picking up my paycheck, at my employers rented office, I slipped on ice in the parking lot (there was alot of it!), and broke my arm. My employer requires all employees to use a certain door and I was parked 10 feet from that door. I stepped out of my car and immediately slipped and fell. Am I solely responsible for Doctor bills and lost wages due to fractured right arm and shoulder dislocation caused by this accident?
Yes -- unless you were in the course and scope of employment, whereby you may be able to collect worker's compensation.

JETX

sharondanberry said:
Was the temperature at, or recently, below freezing??
Had it rained or snowed at all during the preceeding days??
If yes to both the above, you knew, or should have known, of a potential ice hazard when you exited your vehicle. The employer is NOT liable.

Now, if you can show that the employer was somehow negligent in allowing the temperature to freeze or for it to rain or snow, you MIGHT have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">