• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I sold my perfect car, now a man wants to sue me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

themack

I live in California. I recently sold my perfectly functioning honda civic to a man in my town. The car gave me no troubles when I owned it. I had a mechanic do a full service on the car before I sold it, and along with changing all the fluids and things, he test drove the car. Everything checked out OK. Now I guess the transmission went out and the new buyer says he wants me to split the cost of the new transmission or he says he will take legal action against me.

I believe I do not need to pay for this item. I sold the car, when I sold it I sold it believeing it was in good condition. We test drove the car together multiple times and there were no problems. I'm about to tell him that I am sorry but I cannot see paying for half of this item. The car was fine when I sold it.

Any advice? BTW I did not tell him to sign a "as is" contract, but I read a website that said tehre is no implied contract when buying from a private seller.

Any info apprecieated.
-Jeff

L

Lars of Mars

Let him threaten all he wants. Get a copy of the mechanic's inspection and mail it to him with a big SHUT UP written on the envelope.

T

themack

He has the reciept of the inspection! Shut up is a little harsh..but yeah, thats exactly what I'm thinkin...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Send him a two-word letter that says nothing else but - -

"CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Then date it, and sign it.

Place a sticky note on it saying, "Please use this letter in court, and show it to the judge."

You'll have a good time in Small Claims. I guarantee it!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">