• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I stated my opinion in an email regarding someone's business? Can I really be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HForrer

What is the name of your state? Calif.

Can you be sued in small claims court for stating your opinion on a forum in regards to someone's business? Actually someone posted on the forum asking for opinions about a particular dog breeder. I answered the post and told them to email me and I would give them info.I didn't want to post my opinion since it wasn't good. This was a set-up from the breeder who had someone email me for my opinion, and now I am being told I am going to be sued. I didn't say anything about her product (dogs) only that I did like her character and that in my communication with her,she had been unprofessional. Any help will be appreciated.

JETX

HForrer said:
Can you be sued in small claims court for stating your opinion on a forum in regards to someone's business?
You can be sued for the damages that your actions might cause in defaming someone elses character or reputation.

However, the situation you describe would likely NOT be found to be defamatory. Some reasons:
1) It was not made to others.... but to the person herself (or her 'agent').
2) Hopefully, your statement was either true or your true opinion (and stated as such).
For example:
If I said "You are an ignorant pig, slut!", depending on the full facts, that could be defamation.
If you said, "In my opinion, you are an ignorant pig, slut!", that isn't. :D
3) Unless you made these statements to others and caused her to lose business, reputation, etc., she would have a hard time PROVING damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">