• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was told I was going to small claims to pay someone else's legal fees.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brettyboop

Colorado

I went through an uncontested divorce(final). My ex's dad sent me a letter stating I have to pay for half of the lawyers fees. Or it will go to small claims.
The total was $1900. I was told I have to pay $950. YES FOR AN UNCONTESTED DIVORCE!
Why do I have to pay for this? I never met any lawyer, I thought the divorce forms at the court house were only a few hundred dollars and then both sign, then done.
I smell something fishy here.
The lawyer that prepared the divorce papers was a good friend of the ex's dad.
Isn't this a conflict of interest, how do I know the money is not going to be pocketed?

justalayman

of course the money would be pocketed, by somebody.

since nobody here was privy to any discussion you may have had with your former wife, her father, or anybody else, there is no way for anybody here to determine if you may have committed yourself to sharing the costs of the divorce.

and if a lawyer actually prepared the forms, why do you think the cost of the divorce would be limited to the filing fees at the courthouse? Of course the attorney is going to get paid for his work. I don't understand why you would think otherwise.

I would suggest a response stating you had not agreed to pay for any of the costs of the divorce and would they kindly explain why they believe you are liable for 1/2 of the costs of the action. Then, either decide to pay or not. If you pay obviously its over. If you don't, then wait to see if somebody sues you. Depending on who sues you you can determine your defense strategy.

brettyboop

I understand that a lawyer needs to get paid.
Yet $1900 for an uncontested divorce? There are companies that do uncontested divorces for a fraction of that.
I am saying, because the lawyer and the father are good friends, how do I know where the money is actually going?
I am being hung out to dry.

Just Blue

I understand that a lawyer needs to get paid.
Yet $1900 for an uncontested divorce? There are companies that do uncontested divorces for a fraction of that.
I am saying, because the lawyer and the father are good friends, how do I know where the money is actually going?
I am being hung out to dry.
No you are not being "hung out to dry". Don't be silly.

$950.00 for ANY divorce is nothing...And you DID have the option of not using this lawyers services. If you wanted it to be free, you should have handled it Pro Se.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Is the divorce done? If so, is there anything in the paperwork that says anything about the OP being liable for 50% of the attorney fees? If not, and it is done, it's done. It should have been addressed as part of the divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">