• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I took my car back does she have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

romncequeen

What is the name of your state? California
This is the situation about 9 months ago i made a verbal agreement with my sister-in-law regarding my vehicle, at the time I had 2 of them so we made a deal that she would take over payments on my 98 mazda protege and pay them on time!!! but now she fell almost 3 payments behind so the finance company called me and were threatening to repossess my vehicle so i called and told her this and asked her is she had the money to pay these payments that were behind she said no so i told her ok then i will pay the car up todate and i want it back in my possesion however she didnt want to give it back to me so i went to he work and took it with my key now she i hear she is taking me to small claims court?? please tell me does she even have a case??? I think not... please help me on this matter thankyou

JETX

"now she i hear she is taking me to small claims court?? please tell me does she even have a case??? I think not"
*** If your 'loan agreement' included a 'security clause' allowing you to recover the security (vehicle) on her breach, you shouldn't have much problem. However, is (as I suspect), you don't have that clause, then you likely do NOT have the right to repossess. Your only recourse due to her breach of payments is to sue her for your damages (the payments you make on her behalf).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">