• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was the victim of an assault. How to settle out of court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heydudeitsme

Kansas.

A few guys beat me up, police and security saw it and two guys were arrested.

The criminal trial is in 20 days. I found the guys on facebook and they look like they're about to graduate from college so I don't want to screw with their future but I have $1,700 in medical bills to pay for plus another $100-200 in damage to my clothes/phone (not really expecting any compensation for the clothes/phone).

Anyway, I was planning on taking them to small claims court after the criminal trial. I read on another website that I could receive about 3x the cost of my medical bills, Idk if thats true or not.

Is there anyway for me to settle this out of court? It would save me some hassle and although they don't deserve it, it would be doing them a favor.

My original thought was to just message them on facebook essentially saying, "give me x amount of money and I'll drop the charges" but that seems like blackmail.

How should I handle this?

Proseguru

My original thought was to just message them on facebook essentially saying, "give me x amount of money and I'll drop the charges" but that seems like blackmail.

How should I handle this?
Well, you have no control over the DA's office decision on to prosecute or not.

You can talk to the DA about getting restitution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">