• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Want My Money Back!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IWantMy$Back!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Anyone willing to help...
I made a purchase recently of a used item for my automobile from a private individual. The item was listed on craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums, and I contacted the seller thru that ad. I went to look at the item and asked every question I could think of to ensure this item was of sound quality, and the seller assured me that it was. I could not tell if the item worked until it was installed and I couldn't do the install there, so I had to take his word on it. I asked him at the completion of the sale "...there won't be any surprises, right?", to which he replied "no". I made the purchase based on the seller's word that the product was good. Unfortunately I did not have a reciept or any paperwork, it was a cash deal from a private individual. I got home and installed the product only to find out that it was not as the seller had promised, and was unuseable. I contacted the seller explained that the item was not how he described, he listened to me and then asked me to call him back. So I tried calling back, but my call was ignored. I've tried calling twice a day now for a week from 3 different phone numbers, and every time the seller realizes it's me he hangs up. I can not get this person to talk to me. I have done a reverse phone number search on the seller and have all of his pertinent information (addresses, other phone numbers, age, full name, email). I want to file suit against them in small claims court to get my money back... do I have a case? If not, how can I get my money back and return the item? :confused:
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Roo

Without a receipt or bill of sale and no real proof (cash sale) a transaction actually occurred, it's going to be a tough case. You could still file in small claims and try to convince the judge but w/o any proof at all, it's going to be a tough sell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">