• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to be paid by Cashier check or cash.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bike1550

What is the name of your state? Minnesota.

My state is Minnesota.

I loaned a person $400.00 a year ago. This person has since made one attempt at re-payment-a check for $50.00 that bounced. While I don’t feel that it is necessary to take this to Small Claims court yet, I would like to know if I am within my right to ask that any further attempt at re-payment be made in a specific format, i.e. no personal checks? Am I also within my rights to request that any and all communications be confined strictly to writing? Thanks.

JETX

Bike1550 said:
I would like to know if I am within my right to ask that any further attempt at re-payment be made in a specific format, i.e. no personal checks? Am I also within my rights to request that any and all communications be confined strictly to writing?
You can ask for anything you want... but there is no statutory obligation for him to comply with your requests.

Veronica1228

Bike1550 said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota.

My state is Minnesota.

I loaned a person $400.00 a year ago. This person has since made one attempt at re-payment-a check for $50.00 that bounced. While I don’t feel that it is necessary to take this to Small Claims court yet, I would like to know if I am within my right to ask that any further attempt at re-payment be made in a specific format, i.e. no personal checks? Am I also within my rights to request that any and all communications be confined strictly to writing? Thanks.
In addition to what Jetx said, keep in mind that a Cashier's Check is not the guaranteed payment method it used to be. They are just paper instruments and can be returned just as easily as a personal check.

Bike1550

Thank you, Veronica1228 and JETX, for answering my earlier questions.

The check that was sent as a payment on the loan, which ultimately bounced, had a corporate logo on it. Should I notify this corporation that one of their representatives is passing bad checks with the corporate logo on them?

Short of taking this to small claims court, what, if any, are my other options?

Bike1550

Bouncing Check Blues

:mad: My state is Minnesota

A personal check that was sent to me for payment of a loan was returned to me for non-sufficient funds. I requested, in writing, as to when I could present the check again for reimbursement, but did not get a reply, and no other form of payment has been forthcoming. This check also had a coporate logo on it. While it also has a disclaimer on it that it is not a corporate check, is it legal for this person to pass bad checks with this logo on them? Am I within my rights to notify this corporation that one of their representatives is doing this? What other options besides Small Claims Court are available to me to collect on this loan?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

JETX

Bike1550 said:
A personal check that was sent to me for payment of a loan was returned to me for non-sufficient funds.
Have you followed your states requirement to pursue CRIMINAL charges against this person for the bad check??
If not, why not??
http://www.lawdog.com/states/mn/sta2.htm

I requested, in writing, as to when I could present the check again for reimbursement, but did not get a reply, and no other form of payment has been forthcoming.
See above.

This check also had a coporate logo on it. While it also has a disclaimer on it that it is not a corporate check, is it legal for this person to pass bad checks with this logo on them?
As noted above, it is NOT legal to pass bad checks. As to the logo, that would be up to the entity that owns the rights, if any, to use that logo.

Am I within my rights to notify this corporation that one of their representatives is doing this?
If that is what you want to do.... yes.

What other options besides Small Claims Court are available to me to collect on this loan?
See above.

Bike1550

Thank you for the response. I hadn't pursued criminal charges because I wasn't sure if I could, and I'm not sure how to go about that process. Agaian, thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">