• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I won the case, but have a few questions....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchelt

Sorry, this should have gone in the "Credit & Collection Problems " area.

What is the name of your state? Colorado

We won the case, the judgement is for $4950.00

We already filed the paperwork to go after his bank account, but he cleared it out, except for $2.95.

- Can we go after an account in another state? I have a feeling he has accounts elsewere, how can I find out if he has other bank accounts?

- We sued the person as an individual, not a company (he was not licensed), can we go after his work truck/trailer and his car?

- Has anyone ever used one of those companies that buy your judgement, some seem to offer 40-50 cents on the dollar. It may not seem like much, but in actual dollars, all we are out is the $700 we paid him, the additional money was awarded to replace the cabinets he ruined.

- Seeing that he owns the company, would it be a waste of time to garnish his wages?

- If you have any other tips, please feel free to pass them on.

We went into this case knowing that we would probably never see the money, we are happy in the fact that he has a negative on his records and that we won.

Thanks!

Mitch

Last edited:

JETX

"Can we go after an account in another state? I have a feeling he has accounts elsewere, how can I find out if he has other bank accounts?"
*** In order to attempt to seize assets in other states, you would have to domesticate the original judgment into that state.

"We sued the person as an individual, not a company (he was not licensed), can we go after his work truck/trailer and his car?"
*** You can seize or levy any non-exempt assets that the judgment debtor owns.

"Has anyone ever used one of those companies that buy your judgement, some seem to offer 40-50 cents on the dollar. It may not seem like much, but in actual dollars, all we are out is the $700 we paid him, the additional money was awarded to replace the cabinets he ruined."
*** I am biased, since that is what I do...... however, I have LOTS of satisfied former judgment creditors.
For someone in your state, go to:
http://www.enforcemyjudgment.com/

"Seeing that he owns the company, would it be a waste of time to garnish his wages?"
*** Very likely yes. But if the company is a sole proprietorship, that gives you additional assets to consider.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">