• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I pay off a debt, will be court case be closed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vert

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

short version:

- moved out of apartment complex
- didn't get last bill for last month rent + repairs and cleaning
- time has passed, now with small claims court
- I can pay off the debt in full no problem
- If I pay the apartment complex in full for the money owed, will my court case be dismissed?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

short version:

- moved out of apartment complex
- didn't get last bill for last month rent + repairs and cleaning
- time has passed, now with small claims court
- I can pay off the debt in full no problem
- If I pay the apartment complex in full for the money owed, will my court case be dismissed?
I suggest you show up in court with a copy of your cancelled check or the receipt showing paid in full.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Only if they accept it. However, I suspect they also will want any legal fees associated with pursuing this.

Have you considered contacting the person or company you are indebted to and asking them if you can settle it directly? I don't suspect they are out to shame you, they just want their money. If they agree to settle it out of court before the case is heard, you could get it in writing that they have accepted your payment and the matter is resolved in case they don't drop the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">