• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajfarms1

Texas. I recently lost a small claims suit and refused to pay. the man has now filed a abstract of judgement in my county. The abstract includes post judgement interest. The judge did not put any interest in the judgement and I heard that interest must be listed in the judgement for him to collect it. Please let me know what I should do. Thanks

Last edited:

LeeHarveyBlotto

Texas. I recently lost a small claims suit and refused to pay. the man has now filed a abstract of judgement in my county. The abstract includes post judgement interest. The judge did not put any interest in the judgement and I heard that interest must be listed in the judgement for him to collect it. Please let me know what I should do. Thanks
You should pay your bills.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
PRE-JUDGEMENT interest must be included. POST-JUDGEMENT interest is likely statutory and wouldn't need to be specifically mentioned in the judgement.

ajfarms1

PRE-JUDGEMENT interest must be included. POST-JUDGEMENT interest is likely statutory and wouldn't need to be specifically mentioned in the judgement.
I have found out Tx. statute finance code section 304.001 states "Sec. 304.001. INTEREST RATE REQUIRED IN JUDGMENT. A money judgment of a court in this state must specify the postjudgment interest rate applicable to that judgment.

Thank you zigner for your interest and some day leeharveydumba## will be smart enough to answer intelligently.

Antigone*

I have found out Tx. statute finance code section 304.001 states "Sec. 304.001. INTEREST RATE REQUIRED IN JUDGMENT. A money judgment of a court in this state must specify the postjudgment interest rate applicable to that judgment.

Thank you zigner for your interest and some day leeharveydumba## will be smart enough to answer intelligently.
Lee's advices was right on, dead center. If you pay your bills you don't have to worry about statutory interest on judgments.:cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Even after he got snippy with you and Lee, you're still offering your help? Dude, what have you been drinking? No, wait it must be the heat.
I want the OP to leave understanding why he owes the money. I'm feeling generous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">