• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal towing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wayne-o

What is the name of your state? TN
My car was parked in a spot where it should not have been and it was towed..My fault I know. However, the company that did the towing did not have the govt license to tow, charged more than they were legally allowed to for me to get my car back and violated about 10 other codes in the Metro codes that regulate wrecker services. I am trying to get them to reimburse my money based on these violations. If I am not successful, would small claims court be a good place to start. Also, in small claims, can you sue for more than actual costs (in this case $135) and if I win, does the defendant have to reimburse me for the filing fees. Thanks in advance

racer72

You can sue for your actual losses and expenses related to filing the lawsuit. Your first step should be to a local bookstore and find a book by Nolo Press on suing in small claims court. The book will hold your hand through all phases of the lawsuit.

JETX

Actually, your FIRST action should be to contact the local jurisdiction that regulates towing. From your post referencing 'code violations', that would presumably be your city police or other agency that regulates tows.
If unsuccessful there, THEN your next step is small claims where you can file to recover your ACTUAL damages, plus court costs.

wayne-o

thanks for your replies. Actually the metropolitan wrecker board is where I got the information that this person was not licensed. The director said he could not help me get my money back, that would be a court function, however, he asked that I file a complaint with him so he could pursue them for violating metro codes. I want my money back, however, if he is not willing to give it, I would be more than happy to pursue it in other venues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">