• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal towing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stercere

What is the name of your state? Colorado
This past week I had a vehicle with expired tags towed from a park-n-ride at the order of RTD. It was towed within 12 hours of being parked and within 1 hour of having a 72 hour notice to remove put on the dashboard. They say it was "towed pursuant to CRS 18-4-512" http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext.dll/Infobase4/2abee/2cdb9/2d392/2d46f?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_18-4-512 However This is a CRIMINAL statute not a civil one. Everything I have been able to find regarding the towing of "abandoned vehicles on private property" in colorado points to CRS 42-4-21 (02-03) which defines an Abandoned motor vehicle as
http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext.dll/Infobase4/63d2d/64ea2/64ea4/66392/6639c?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_42-4-2102
(a) Any motor vehicle left unattended on private property for a period of twenty-four hours or longer or for such other period as may be established by local ordinance without the consent of the owner or lessee of such property or the owner's or lessee's legally authorized agent;

(b) Any motor vehicle stored in an impound lot at the request of its owner or the owner's agent and not removed from the impound lot according to the agreement with the owner or agent;

(c) Any motor vehicle that is left on private property without the property owner's consent, towed at the request of the property owner, and not removed from the impound lot by the vehicle owner within forty-eight hours; or

(d) A motor vehicle fitted with an immobilization device that is on private property and deemed to be abandoned pursuant to section 42-4-1105 (7) (c).

It cost me $229.75 and 3 hours of my time to remove my car from a private impound lot. do you think I have a legitimate case against them if anyone can find any information that is pertinent please help thanks.

Silverplum

Dude, RTD stands for "Regional Transportation District," for which we all pay taxes -- it's a multi-city entity, and their park-n-rides belong to them. You had expired tags -- plus CO allows an extra month to get them renewed, beyond the 12 for which they were valid -- and you were towed. SOP.

Quit crying and be a citizen. If you don't follow the rules, you can't play.

stercere

RTD themselves claims it as private property.
RTD may be SUBSIDIZED by a Denver metro area sales tax but is a privately run corporation.
As far as getting current registration on the vehicle, it needs more work to pass emissions testing, the person I obtained it from put 2 cycle engine oil in the fuel and it won't stay running for more than 5 minute intervals, I was told running out the gas (considering the quantity involved is my only option besides scrapping the car) no emissions no title.

Silverplum

RTD themselves claims it as private property.
RTD may be SUBSIDIZED by a Denver metro area sales tax but is a privately run corporation.
As far as getting current registration on the vehicle, it needs more work to pass emissions testing, the person I obtained it from put 2 cycle engine oil in the fuel and it won't stay running for more than 5 minute intervals, I was told running out the gas (considering the quantity involved is my only option besides scrapping the car) no emissions no title.
Well, you are driving an unlicensed, non-emissions-passing vehicle. What do you expect?

As far as the corporate/city complexities of RTD's ownership and the ownership status of the land upon which they build park-n-rides, you go ahead and dig around. I'm not going to. I suggest you get that vehicle in running order and properly licensed, or give it up.

One option is to return it to the seller -- the sale is invalid if the car won't pass emissions.

mlane58

Well, you are driving an unlicensed, non-emissions-passing vehicle. What do you expect?

As far as the corporate/city complexities of RTD's ownership and the ownership status of the land upon which they build park-n-rides, you go ahead and dig around. I'm not going to. I suggest you get that vehicle in running order and properly licensed, or give it up.

One option is to return it to the seller -- the sale is invalid if the car won't pass emissions.
No more emissions for us El Paso county folks as of 1 Jan 2006

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">