• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegitimate deal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silverwings_85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas - Hood County

Hey there!

A few weeks ago, I purchased a car from a woman. She used to work with my sister and has a car for sale and I was in desperate need, as mine had just died! The car was $1000, but she needed the money quick so instead of waiting for me to come up with it, she said if I would pay $775, and then another $125 in 2 weeks that I could have the car. Well I did. We drew up a bill of sale, and she signed the transfer papers and everything. Several days later I find out that the title was NOT clear (as she had recently stated) and after being told several stories, I find out that the car actually was in her mothers name and there was still a note on it. From what I understand (and I called the jail to confirm), she was pressed charges against and the car was reported stolen. I spoke with the police and they said my best course of action was to return the car, so that it is not in my possession and take her to court.

However.... that is proving to be difficult. She bailed out and according to my sister, is now out. I do not have her address as we met at a convenient midway location, and I returned the car to her mother, and have her address, but the woman refused to give me her name. I don't even know if it was her mother! All I know is I did not want to go to jail for this car!

The only address I have been able to track down is that of her fathers and I spoke with him today and he was he has not seen her in weeks. He said she was living with him but about a month ago, she just left, and when I gave him the whole story, he said that it did not sound like her mother and he has no idea whats going on.

My question is... do I file against the original woman? And what address do I put if I don't even know where she is? What about the person I gave the car back to? I have the address for that but no name. What a mess!!!!

- Kim

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas - Hood County

Hey there!

A few weeks ago, I purchased a car from a woman. She used to work with my sister and has a car for sale and I was in desperate need, as mine had just died! The car was $1000, but she needed the money quick so instead of waiting for me to come up with it, she said if I would pay $775, and then another $125 in 2 weeks that I could have the car. Well I did. We drew up a bill of sale, and she signed the transfer papers and everything. Several days later I find out that the title was NOT clear (as she had recently stated) and after being told several stories, I find out that the car actually was in her mothers name and there was still a note on it. From what I understand (and I called the jail to confirm), she was pressed charges against and the car was reported stolen. I spoke with the police and they said my best course of action was to return the car, so that it is not in my possession and take her to court.

However.... that is proving to be difficult. She bailed out and according to my sister, is now out. I do not have her address as we met at a convenient midway location, and I returned the car to her mother, and have her address, but the woman refused to give me her name. I don't even know if it was her mother! All I know is I did not want to go to jail for this car!

The only address I have been able to track down is that of her fathers and I spoke with him today and he was he has not seen her in weeks. He said she was living with him but about a month ago, she just left, and when I gave him the whole story, he said that it did not sound like her mother and he has no idea whats going on.

My question is... do I file against the original woman? And what address do I put if I don't even know where she is? What about the person I gave the car back to? I have the address for that but no name. What a mess!!!!

- Kim
You have to sue the person who defrauded you, not her mother. You might want to ask the police for a copy of the report on the stolen vehicle. That should have the suspects's last known address.

You have many battles ahead of you with this one. Not only do you have to find her to serve her, if you will you get the opportunity to hunt her down for the rest of her life (or at least 10 years) trying to collect.

silverwings_85

No I have the name of the woman who sold me that car, just not the name of the person I took the car back to, because the original woman was supposedly in jail.

After the fact, I found out from the police that no such stolen car report was filed.

Should I file fraud charges? Would that be better?

yomomma

No I have the name of the woman who sold me that car, just not the name of the person I took the car back to, because the original woman was supposedly in jail.

After the fact, I found out from the police that no such stolen car report was filed.

Should I file fraud charges? Would that be better?
Do you have the title?

silverwings_85

No, thats when all the drama came up. When I tried to get the title. I was naive enough to believe her story that she had to get it from her dad. Never have I dealt with someone like this!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">