• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

halfceo

As per everyone last advice on my post... I have enought proof to show loss...

I have a contract that was breached in Illinois. I live in Illinois and the other party live's in Kansas. Do I file in Kansas or do I file in Illinois.. If I have to file in KS can I add in my traveling expenses to the claim.

If I am able to sue in Illinois, I apologize for asking, I am sure this comes up a lot; is there a link with information that describes how to sue someone in a different state?

racer72

I have a contract that was breached in Illinois. I live in Illinois and the other party live's in Kansas.
Does the contract which state has authority for any legal dispute? A good contract will.

Do I file in Kansas or do I file in Illinois..
Depends. Does the other party have any assets in Illinois you could sieze if you win? If not, you Illinois judgment is basically worthless in Kansas, you would have to domesticate your Illinois judgment or file a new lawsuit in Kansas.

If I have to file in KS can I add in my traveling expenses to the claim.
Nope.

If I am able to sue in Illinois, I apologize for asking, I am sure this comes up a lot; is there a link with information that describes how to sue someone in a different state?
Google "Illinois small claims court", you will find a bunch of usefull links.

halfceo

racer72 said:
Does the contract which state has authority for any legal dispute? A good contract will.
Actually, the contract states that if the contract is breached, legal action will be taken in Illinois.

racer72 said:
Depends. Does the other party have any assets in Illinois you could sieze if you win? If not, you Illinois judgment is basically worthless in Kansas, you would have to domesticate your Illinois judgment or file a new lawsuit in Kansas.
He does not. This I guess that answers my questions!

racer72 said:
Google "Illinois small claims court", you will find a bunch of usefull links.
Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">