• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm being extorted out of 800$

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnDoe28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Any legal experts in the house? Here’s my question - my ex-girlfriend of 2 years (now haven’t spoken to in 6 months) is trying to take me to court for $800. Various expenditures over the 2 years we dated. I made many payments over time until the thing was well under $200. Proof of all this was in very detailed, itemized emails from her listing everything - the cost - and total remaining balance. Under $200. Now, lo and behold, she stopped talking to me because of her ex-hubby and I got a court summons in the mail for 800!! So I went back to email to retrieve the receipts, and she deleted them all! She got into my account with an alternate email address that I KNOW is not mine - and deleted ALL our correspondence! What can I do about that?

And also - just the other day I got crazy phone threats from her ex-hubby (who had been jailed prior for beating her). He somehow just got my number now - 6 months after I haven’t even seen the girrl (who has been lying to us all the entire time I guess) and tried acting like a tough guy. I guess my question is what can I do/say/bring with me to avoid paying this ridiculous total?? The drunken ex-hubby knew nothing about this case, he just called to be a drunk dinkus.

A little more info - when I was going through drama with the druggy ex-wife, she helped me out big time with excise taxes and old tickets and a car downpayment etc... There were very detailed itemized emails from her tracking this and the payments. They were loosely considered "loans". So about 6 months ago, we kinda stopped talking a little in a weird fashion. I tried getting her to meet up with me by promising more payments towards the total, just so we could at least get up in person and talk.

That's when she basically said she reunited with her old dude, got pregnant and wanted me to send the remaining balance in the mail OR she would just write the whole thing off. After she told me that I was like DELETED. Never spoke to or thought about her again. Until now when I get that court order. I go to my old email to get the receipts and she hacked it! Destroyed everything! Then her old boy calls me all drunk talking **** (6 months too late mind you). So I guess the only "legal" stuff she has are the few texts from the end of our relationship when I told her I would give her some money in person if she just met with me.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some kind of court order RE: the texts and VMs from her boy? All his drunken death threats? And I'm thinking about calling my old job cuz a few years ago we got written up because SHE stole my work password and used it on a day I wasn't even there! She got caught and in trouble, and my only thought is maybe if I get that documentation from work I can prove there is a track record of her stealing my passwords? I dunno guys, I'm really at a loss here. Any help would seriously be greatly appreciated.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Any legal experts in the house? Here’s my question - my ex-girlfriend of 2 years (now haven’t spoken to in 6 months) is trying to take me to court for $800. Various expenditures over the 2 years we dated. I made many payments over time until the thing was well under $200. Proof of all this was in very detailed, itemized emails from her listing everything - the cost - and total remaining balance. Under $200. Now, lo and behold, she stopped talking to me because of her ex-hubby and I got a court summons in the mail for 800!! So I went back to email to retrieve the receipts, and she deleted them all! She got into my account with an alternate email address that I KNOW is not mine - and deleted ALL our correspondence! What can I do about that?

And also - just the other day I got crazy phone threats from her ex-hubby (who had been jailed prior for beating her). He somehow just got my number now - 6 months after I haven’t even seen the girrl (who has been lying to us all the entire time I guess) and tried acting like a tough guy. I guess my question is what can I do/say/bring with me to avoid paying this ridiculous total?? The drunken ex-hubby knew nothing about this case, he just called to be a drunk dinkus.

A little more info - when I was going through drama with the druggy ex-wife, she helped me out big time with excise taxes and old tickets and a car downpayment etc... There were very detailed itemized emails from her tracking this and the payments. They were loosely considered "loans". So about 6 months ago, we kinda stopped talking a little in a weird fashion. I tried getting her to meet up with me by promising more payments towards the total, just so we could at least get up in person and talk.

That's when she basically said she reunited with her old dude, got pregnant and wanted me to send the remaining balance in the mail OR she would just write the whole thing off. After she told me that I was like DELETED. Never spoke to or thought about her again. Until now when I get that court order. I go to my old email to get the receipts and she hacked it! Destroyed everything! Then her old boy calls me all drunk talking **** (6 months too late mind you). So I guess the only "legal" stuff she has are the few texts from the end of our relationship when I told her I would give her some money in person if she just met with me.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some kind of court order RE: the texts and VMs from her boy? All his drunken death threats? And I'm thinking about calling my old job cuz a few years ago we got written up because SHE stole my work password and used it on a day I wasn't even there! She got caught and in trouble, and my only thought is maybe if I get that documentation from work I can prove there is a track record of her stealing my passwords? I dunno guys, I'm really at a loss here. Any help would seriously be greatly appreciated.
Unless you produce the receipts you claim to have received from her, you're pretty much screwed. The court would have only YOUR word that they ever existed, unless you can somehow prove that she destroyed what evidence you did have - which sounds to be difficult at best. Your best bet might be to get a witness from your old work to come forward and testify about the stolen password (documentation is OK, but it would probably carry more weight if you had a live person there that could be cross-examined), but even that would be a stretch.

What I can suggest to you (from this point forward) is to always have backups of your important emails and documents somewhere where they won't get lost or stolen - such as copies in a safe deposit box or the like.

JohnDoe28

She claims it's mostly from a bed she gave me. I still have the VMs her estranged husband left and the texts she sent immediately after that were self-conflicting in nature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">