• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bunbury

What is the name of your state?

California

Hello....I'm just rec'vd notice that I am being sued. I really can't contest the suit because I acknowledge that I am fully responsible for the amount. I was in a car accident and I did not have insurance at the time. Unfortunaltly I lost my job in January and I have not been able to find a job yet. I have no money and no steady income coming in. I really did try to make good on my responsability; I even maid partial payments but those payments stopped when I lost my job. As an FYI, I also have filed bankruptcy within the last year....Im just wondering what the judge will do since there aren't any wages to garnish at this time.

thanks.

B

Bunbury

sorry if I wasn't clear.

Basically I want to know the steps that are taken when someone (in this case me) cant pay a settlement. I have heard that wages can be garnished but I dont have a steady paycheck right now so that wont be an alternative. Also, will the fact that I filed bankruptcy (before the accident) have any effect on what the judge will rule. thanks again.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Bunbury said:
What is the name of your state?

California

Hello....I'm just rec'vd notice that I am being sued. I really can't contest the suit because I acknowledge that I am fully responsible for the amount. I was in a car accident and I did not have insurance at the time. Unfortunaltly I lost my job in January and I have not been able to find a job yet. I have no money and no steady income coming in. I really did try to make good on my responsability; I even maid partial payments but those payments stopped when I lost my job. As an FYI, I also have filed bankruptcy within the last year....Im just wondering what the judge will do since there aren't any wages to garnish at this time.

thanks.

My response:

Apparently, Veronica01 didn't see your question at the end (albeit, you didn't use a question mark).

If you have no defense, the Plaintiff will "prove up" their damages, and a judgment will be entered against you, accordingly. The judgment will include the principle amount, court costs, and interest at the rate of 10% per year.

A judgment in California is viable for 10 years, and renewable every 10 years thereafter. It's a sure bet you'll have a job, a bank account, property, or other assets during those 10 years or thereafter. That's when the Plaintiff will start collecting it's money.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

Additionally, the judgment creditor will serve you with "Interrogatories" (Questions) about your job status, your financial status, and asset status. You will also be required to appear and attend a "Judgment Debtor Examination" in court up to 2 times per year - - until the judgment is paid in full.

Those are always fun!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">