• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm being sued! Help please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vegasdaemon

I'm being sued.

The plaintiff, who I will simply say is Chris, is suing me in small claims court for an amount of $5,000. The reason on this summons is "Repayment of debit", which I'm assuming he says I owe him money. I think it's best to explain the situation.

I used to work for Chris full-time as a phone support tech. He ran an ISP here in Nevada and I worked for him for about a year. After that, I left and started my own business doing web development freelance. I was doing okay, and moved into my own apartment. Well, a few clients left me, and I wanted some extra money. And Chris was having a good deal of problems in his business regarding his servers. So I worked for him remotely from my apartment part-time, while continuing to do my business.

Well, apparently his business was in need of radical change. He got to talking to me, and came over to my apartment with this idea. He said he'd like me to work for him again for full-time, salary, adequating to $12/hr, and work on migrating all his servers over to a different platform, answers phones, and pretty much help out with the business. He wanted me to move into his house so that I could work with him directly and not do everything remotely. Work more as a "team". I told him I still have my lease with my apartment complex, and he said don't worry about it, he'll take care of it. My assumption is he was going to write it off as a business expense. I would also be able to run my business from his house.

So he paid my early termination of lease, which was somewhere around 1,200 dollars I believe. And I moved into his house. No contract or lease agreement was written up. No formal rent arrangement was made. I'd pay him what I could, and when I couldn't, he said, don't worry about it.

My car was also having trouble with it's brakes and clutch. I was saving up money to fix it, so I was without wheels. He said this can't be the case, that he needed me to be mobile, and he paid for it. I assumed this also was written off as a business expense. He said don't worry about it.

His business situation was getting worse. Debt to service providers was growing. He was getting more erratic in behavior. He fired his accountant and decided to take it upon himself to do the finances. At that point, he started talking a lot about money problems and starting bringing up things of that I owed him money.

He was working hard on selling the house. It got to the point that he made the house into a "model" home, where my room was left to be just a bed and a tv. What work I did, I had to do in the garage. When the house was being shown, I was not allowed to be present on the property.

I finally found a house, and moved out. I tried working with him remotely doing phone support and remote management of the servers for a little while, but a dispute over a payperiod took place. I felt he was now trying to shave money off my paycheck. I quit at that point.

A few weeks later, he sent me email communication stating I owe him $5,000 dollars. I asked him for proof. He sent me a supposed list of things I owe him for. I immediately saw this list and felt it was wrong to be stating I owe him money for supposed business expenses. All of a sudden, I was held responsible for rent, and he even listed payment for replacement of the carpet, which he did to make the house more appealing for buyers. His justification was that I had a dog, but the man had two large dogs before my staying there which pretty much destroyed the carpet before I arrived.

After asking for proof through the mail, I waited. I received nothing for a few months. Nothing at all. Till last night. I opened the door and someone handed me a summons. I have to appear in court on Wednesday, January 5th, to argue my case that I don't owe him money.

If he wants to say I owe him money, I felt that I was justified in asking for legal binding papers which state that I do owe him money. I asked to receive it in the mail. I did not receive anything. It's not like I was hard to reach. He had my email addresses, my phone number which has not changed, and my new mailing address is available in plentiful places on the Internet.

However, on the summons, the address is listed as the address of when I lived with him. He *knows* I don't live there. Also, by policy of the small claims court, he's supposed to have sent a certified letter demanding payment, which I did not receive. He was supposed to provide receipt of this letter when filing, so I don't know if he falsified this receipt or not.

The summons was given to me yesterday, and my court date is the 5th. By policy, I'm supposed to receive the summons no later than 10 days prior to my court date. And a affidavit of service (stating that the summons was delivered) is supposed to be given to the court when it was delivered. Supposedly, this was *done*. And I just received it yesterday. This too, I'm not sure if he falsified.

No contracts written up stating any payment of any sort regarding rent, or early termination of my prior lease, or of any financial responsibilities to the house. I think that means a lot. I don't know if he'll try to falsify these types of documents. I know he's capable of trying something so stupid.

This is my first ever court appearance. There's no small claims lawyers in Las Vegas, as they cannot make money off these types of cases.

I need help. I've got two days to really write up my case, and find a way to properly defend myself.

I live in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
Far too long a post for any responsible person to take the time to read.
Awww, at least he knows what punctuation and paragraphs are. That's worth something to me :)

Ok, so here's the deal. Small claims is not formal at all. You can show up on the 5th and explain to the clerk/judge (whomever you see) that you would like to see the affidavit of service as you were just served on the 3rd.

Assuming it's false as you suspect, you can fight service but odds are you'll either lose outright or just get an adjournment (which you'll be asking for in a minute anyway, read on). Reiterate that you also asked for documentary proof of the debt owed (bring a copy of your letter) and were never given any, so you're renewing your request. Then, ask for an adjournment (30, 45, 60 days are typical) in order to get plaintiff's "proof" and to prepare your defense.

It's the plaintiff's burden to prove you owe the money, and to document why. If he cannot produce the proof, he will fail to meet his burden and you'll win without even having to say anything.

You may want to prepare for the eventuality that Chris will forge whatever documents he needs to prove his case, so if you can scrounge up some witnesses, it couldn't hurt.

And remember, small claims is nothing like "court" on TV. It's a smally, crowded room and the hearings are frequently completely devoid of any "legal" procedures whatsoever. It's closer to the "People's Court" than "Law & Order" :)

Good luck.

PissedOff@DTV

JETX said:
Far too long a post for any responsible person to take the time to read.

Pretty nice that people come here for advice and get slapped in the face with a fish. This is just another one of your oustanding and very helpful replys JETX. I wish everyone could be rude like you, then you would actually be normal. Go ahead, I know you want to do it.... pat yourself on the back for such a good job you have done.

JETX

PissedOff@DTV said:
Pretty nice that people come here for advice and get slapped in the face with a fish. This is just another one of your oustanding and very helpful replys JETX. I wish everyone could be rude like you, then you would actually be normal. Go ahead, I know you want to do it.... pat yourself on the back for such a good job you have done.
Nahhh... I simply didn't have the time to devote to trying to translate such a long and rambling post.... another responsible (and qualified) member did. I really don't see much need for my involvement on this one (other than this reply to your droolings). :D

HomeGuru

**A: Ok, then JETX, please explain what a "repayment of a debit" is.

The plaintiff, who I will simply say is Chris, is suing me in small claims court for an amount of $5,000. The reason on this summons is "Repayment of debit"

JETX

HomeGuru said:
**A: Ok, then JETX, please explain what a "repayment of a debit" is.
There was this frog named "PissedOff@DTV" who had a speech impediment and everytime he tried to say "ribbitt" it came out as 'Debit'!! This was quite embarassing for him and needless to say, had a serious impact on his non-existant 'frog-sex' life.

He was told of this doctor, named Rhubarb (RubySlippers to his friends.... really, friend, as he had only one!!). Rhubarb promised to perform surgery on 'PissedOff' and correct his speech so that he could say 'ribbitt', like all the other frogs.

The surgery was successful and in his joy, PissedOff said to Rhubarb, "I will I ever repay you for removing my debit?".
And that is how the term 'repayment of a debit' came about. :D

HomeGuru

JETX said:
There was this frog named "PissedOff@DTV" who had a speech impediment and everytime he tried to say "ribbitt" it came out as 'Debit'!! This was quite embarassing for him and needless to say, had a serious impact on his non-existant 'frog-sex' life.

He was told of this doctor, named Rhubarb (RubySlippers to his friends.... really, friend, as he had only one!!). Rhubarb promised to perform surgery on 'PissedOff' and correct his speech so that he could say 'ribbitt', like all the other frogs.

The surgery was successful and in his joy, PissedOff said to Rhubarb, "I will I ever repay you for removing my debit?".
**A: too funny, thanks and ribbitt.

signed,
Horny Toad

PissedOff@DTV

JETX said:

ah just as i expected from a no-life such as you. You ought to get a job in stand-up comedy. I promise I would buy a ticket to see you. (just to throw a brick at you) looser.

Happy Trails

PissedOff@DTV said:
ah just as i expected from a no-life such as you. You ought to get a job in stand-up comedy. I promise I would buy a ticket to see you. (just to throw a brick at you) looser.
What are you so upTIGHT for? You should try to be a little looser.

Do you enjoy stalking JETX?

JETX

PissedOff@DTV said:
ah just as i expected from a no-life such as you.
Did you forget to capitalize 'I'??
And though possibly correct, it is more likely that your 5th grade education didn't explain it is 'low-life', not 'no-life'.

You ought to get a job in stand-up comedy.
You don't 'get a job' in stand-up comedy. Either you do it, or you don't.

I promise I would buy a ticket to see you.
I'll take you up on that. Send $100 to my attention via the Free Advice website (address below) and I will make sure you get the FIRST ticket issued.

[/quote](just to throw a brick at you)[/quote]
Guess you forgot that the first letter of the first word in a new sentence is supposed to be capitalized, huh?? Another proud benefit of 'home schooling', huh??
And I guess you ran out of 'periods' to end your sentence. You need to get some more.... I think that they are on sale at CompUSA. :D

Forget to capitalize again, huh???
And it is spelled 'loser'.

And in our never ending efforts to educate the ignorant and under-educated...
loose adj. loos·er, loos·est
1. Not fastened, restrained, or contained: loose bricks.
2. Not taut, fixed, or rigid: a loose anchor line; a loose chair leg.
3. Free from confinement or imprisonment; unfettered: criminals loose in the neighborhood; dogs that are loose on the streets.
4. Not tight-fitting or tightly fitted: loose shoes.
5. Not bound, bundled, stapled, or gathered together: loose papers.
6. Not compact or dense in arrangement or structure: loose gravel.
7. Lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility; idle: loose talk.
8. Not formal; relaxed: a loose atmosphere at the club.
9. Lacking conventional moral restraint in sexual behavior.
10. Not literal or exact: a loose translation.
11. Characterized by a free movement of fluids in the body: a loose cough; loose bowels.

PissedOff@DTV said:
Poster:

You completely overlooked the fact that You Are Guilty took the time to provide a comprehensive, informative answer. Not only did you fail to thank him, you didn't even acknowledge his post :eek:.

You Are Guilty

john123456 said:
Poster:

You completely overlooked the fact that You Are Guilty took the time to provide a comprehensive, informative answer. Not only did you fail to thank him, you didn't even acknowledge his post :eek:.

That's because he's not the OP :eek:

That other weirdo just seems to follow JETX around like one of those little rat-size dogs that nip at your feet. I imagine his DTV is still not working (or else he'd be busily watching the latest episode of He-Man on the cartoon network rather than stalk JETX).

JETX

You Are Guilty said:
That other weirdo just seems to follow JETX around like one of those little rat-size dogs that nip at your feet. I imagine his DTV is still not working (or else he'd be busily watching the latest episode of He-Man on the cartoon network rather than stalk JETX).
Yep, his DTV is dead... since they killed the HU datastream and converted over to the P3 datastream.... which has NOT been hacked yet.

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
Yep, his DTV is dead... since they killed the HU datastream and converted over to the P3 datastream.... which has NOT been hacked yet.
I'm sorry, my technospeak-to-english translator is out of batteries again. WHAAAA?? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">