• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm being sued and I cannot afford it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andrerichmond

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Question: I'm currently being sued from a bail bond company. Back in 2006, I'd co-signed to bail my cousin out of jail, and they are coming after me for the balance ($2,200). I found out yesterday (March 31st) from my brother that somenoe dropped a letter off. I'd asked him to open it and it has a court date, April 21st 2009. My question is, what can I do to avoid being sued? I already called and tried to work out arrangements with the company, but they want me to come up with half this month and half next month. I told them I cannot do it; I'm about to have a kid, and I'm already pinching it paying for all the expenses due to my wife not able to work. My job just has already cut everyone's salary back by 10%, due to the economy. I'd considered filing for chapter-7/13? BKto avoid the garnishment, is this possible before my court date?? What can I do to avoid this? Can I apply to extend the court date? I appreciate any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">