• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm getting sued in Small Claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blattino69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

I recently had a personal trainer who is now suing me for $1017.00 for services rendered. I never signed a contract and I haven't missed any payments that I can recall, and if I did it surely did not equal $1017.00. I have also requested on several occasions to see proof of his personal trainers certificate which was a huge part of his advertisement and he always has an excuse not to show me. Can I file a counterclaim for fraudulent misrepresentation for not having a certificate per his advertisement, and try to recover what I paid him? Which party has the burden of proof? I paid mostly cash and I have no receipts.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

I recently had a personal trainer who is now suing me for $1017.00 for services rendered. I never signed a contract and I haven't missed any payments that I can recall, and if I did it surely did not equal $1017.00. I have also requested on several occasions to see proof of his personal trainers certificate which was a huge part of his advertisement and he always has an excuse not to show me. Can I file a counterclaim for fraudulent misrepresentation for not having a certificate per his advertisement, and try to recover what I paid him? Which party has the burden of proof? I paid mostly cash and I have no receipts.
**A: of course you can file a counterclaim. The burden of proof is on you to provide evidence of payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">