• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm scared, alone, broke and being sued. please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

exassaty828

What is the name of your state?California
I am a 35 year old waitress. About 13 years ago (1992 then), my ex and I recieved AFDC benifits for our 4 year old daughter (at that time she was 4, now shes 17) for a short time, less than a year (I think). In 1997 the family support DA tageted my ex for riembursment of those payments back to the county for a total of over $5000.00 + interest. They only held him responsible for this and not myself. We seperated in, i believe, 1993.
In 2001 my ex was trying to establish some credit by applying for credit card etc.. so he could move into his fathers house and take over the house payments. He was not able to do this because of the outstanding debt to the DA. They were also threatening him with putting a lien on his bank account and all his property. I felt for the guy, stupid me. I didnt think it was fair that they only hold him responsible for the debt since we were both in the home at the time but I guess thats how the DA works.
(Im also being accused by my exes dad, of recieving benifits after my ex took our daughter (no legal custody established). That is a wrongful accusation. His dad paid the DA off in full for my ex, I was not aware this was happening until his dad calls me up and says, "I paid the debt to the DA off for Cory and your gonna pay back every penny". His dad is not a subtle or passive man. He makes me feel intimidated and scared. I was always intimidated and scared by him when he got angry or hostile. He's a very abrupt man.
He made me sign a paper hand written by his wife, stating I will pay it back. I did make quite a few payments, but unexpected events threw me into a major financial hardship. I'm a waitress and a single mother of my youngest child, Shayla 9. I dont recieve any kind of aid or assistance. not even medical. I dont have any money in the bank, i dont have any credit cards, I have 2 evictions on my record, and terrible credit. I live pay check to pay check. I make tips that help me get through daily expenses. I owe for a traffic fine of $1300.00 that I have to start paying Sept. 1 2005. or they will put me in jail.
My hourly wage is min. wage. I have no valueable property. no car. not even expensive jewelry. can i present my financial hardship to the judge and have it be admissable. will it matter. and if I lose what actions will they take to get what they think I owe them. I dont have anything to give them. A small claims advisor said that I could say there was no consideration in the contract I signed, I didnt actually recieve anything or gain anything from it. In addition to the fact that I was forced to sign for fear of the plaintiff's actions if I didnt. Please help me. I'm scared. I'm alone. I'm "ignorant" to anything legal like. and I have a child that solely depends on me for her care and saftey. Her father is absent.
I'm scheduled to appear in court in westminster on aug. 30 2005
Thank you
K.C.
[email protected]

Happy Trails

exassaty828 said:
What is the name of your state?California
I am a 35 year old waitress. About 13 years ago (1992 then), my ex and I recieved AFDC benifits for our 4 year old daughter (at that time she was 4, now shes 17) for a short time, less than a year (I think). In 1997 the family support DA tageted my ex for riembursment of those payments back to the county for a total of over $5000.00 + interest. They only held him responsible for this and not myself. We seperated in, i believe, 1993.
In 2001 my ex was trying to establish some credit by applying for credit card etc.. so he could move into his fathers house and take over the house payments. He was not able to do this because of the outstanding debt to the DA. They were also threatening him with putting a lien on his bank account and all his property. I felt for the guy, stupid me. I didnt think it was fair that they only hold him responsible for the debt since we were both in the home at the time but I guess thats how the DA works.
(Im also being accused by my exes dad, of recieving benifits after my ex took our daughter (no legal custody established). That is a wrongful accusation. His dad paid the DA off in full for my ex, I was not aware this was happening until his dad calls me up and says, "I paid the debt to the DA off for Cory and your gonna pay back every penny". His dad is not a subtle or passive man. He makes me feel intimidated and scared. I was always intimidated and scared by him when he got angry or hostile. He's a very abrupt man.
He made me sign a paper hand written by his wife, stating I will pay it back. I did make quite a few payments, but unexpected events threw me into a major financial hardship. I'm a waitress and a single mother of my youngest child, Shayla 9. I dont recieve any kind of aid or assistance. not even medical. I dont have any money in the bank, i dont have any credit cards, I have 2 evictions on my record, and terrible credit. I live pay check to pay check. I make tips that help me get through daily expenses. I owe for a traffic fine of $1300.00 that I have to start paying Sept. 1 2005. or they will put me in jail.
My hourly wage is min. wage. I have no valueable property. no car. not even expensive jewelry. can i present my financial hardship to the judge and have it be admissable. will it matter. and if I lose what actions will they take to get what they think I owe them. I dont have anything to give them. A small claims advisor said that I could say there was no consideration in the contract I signed, I didnt actually recieve anything or gain anything from it. In addition to the fact that I was forced to sign for fear of the plaintiff's actions if I didnt. Please help me. I'm scared. I'm alone. I'm "ignorant" to anything legal like. and I have a child that solely depends on me for her care and saftey. Her father is absent.
I'm scheduled to appear in court in westminster on aug. 30 2005
Thank you
K.C.
[email protected]
If they win a judgement against you, then they will have several options that they could use to collect.

See: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/smallclaims/collect.htm

BL

Let the Judge know what his Father did as far as make you ( he actually couldn't make you ) with a threat , sign you would pay the debt his SON owed .

Is the Father actually trying to get you pay the Entire debt that was owed the State ?

If so , I'd like to be in the Court house .

Try to obtain the records that this was the kid's Father's Debt to the State .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">