• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm worried I'll get taken to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sideasideb

Can these people take me to court?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

A former friend's mother asked that I return a borrowed item by a certain date. I have been completely willing to work with the mother and have been trying to get back in touch with her to arrange a drop off time (in order to avoid just leaving items in their front yard).

The mother isn't calling me back and the deadline that they gave me to return the item is approaching.

My question is, can they not call me back and THEN take me to court for not returning the items "on time"? I know these people pretty well and they like to threaten these types of things. I just want to know what I can do to cover my bases in case of any funny business.

Last edited:

Antigone*

A former friend's mother asked that I return a borrowed item by a certain date. I have been completely willing to work with the mother and have been trying to get back in touch with her to arrange a drop off time (in order to avoid just leaving items in their front yard).

The mother isn't calling me back and the deadline that they gave me to return the item is approaching.

My question is, can they not call me back and THEN take me to court for not returning the items "on time"? I know these people pretty well and they like to threaten these types of things. I just want to know what I can do to cover my bases in case of any funny business.

So take the item with you to court if you are sued.

latigo

This isn’t making a hell of a lot of sense as your excuses come off hollow and contrived.

That is, unless you can make a convincing argument that it is normal procedure for a person that borrows someone else’s property to get on the Internet and inquire of strangers as how to return the property. (An effort I see here as your testing the waters as to the plausibility of your excuses.)

Whatever it is that you borrowed (and seem reluctant to identify) was obviously an item that you had a use for. The message I’m getting is that you still find it useful for your own purposes and would like to part with it just before the sheriff hands you an arrest warrant for theft.

You are wrongfully in possession of property that belongs to another and it’s your responsibility to get the item back in the hands of the owner. It is not the owner’s responsibility to return your bloody phone calls!

Iwonder?

Yo

like Latigo says you are not forthcoming on said "object" . You seem to be hiding something.

If you said something like " I borrowed my neighbors lawnmower but forgot to get it to him on time..and he/she wants to sue me for lost time with it... well I would also have problem with this thread. but that is just me. I am unusual.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">