• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incompetent Phone Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tizzylish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

A little over a year ago I changed my phone service to bundle it with my cable service to save money. I have always had a non listed non published phone number previously because of a terribly abusive past to myself and my child and I did not want this person to be able to find us. I requested that my number be non listed non published with this company as well, which they assured me they could do. I saw on my bill that I was being charged for this service which was fine. About a month after having changed to this company the harassing phone calls and threats started. I looked on line and called information and sure enough there was my number plain as day listed and published. I had to get the police involved and this company assured me that they did not know what happened and that they would change my phone number for free. At the same time they gave the detectives that I was working with an extremely hard time when they subpoenaed the phone records. It took them almost 3 months to release this information, and when they did it was a mess that the police had a hard time making heads or tails out of.
Almost one year later the harassment started again and to my utter horror I found that my number, address everything about me had been listed and published again! I immedialty called the phone company and they said that they did not know how it happened, but that my request that my number be non listed/ non published was deleted. I asked them how can this be when I am still being charged monthly for this service.
Can someone please tell me what legal action I can take in this matter? I am not being flip when I say that they put me and my child in terrible danger. Thank you in adWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

jumac

some of the senors can help you more but one thing that i can think that might help/hurt you in a case against them is this. Was the online info at a site that the phone/cable company owned or just some random site on the internet. There are many ways to find out someones number without going though the phone company and some of these sites don't care if the number is unlisted or not they will just put the info online.

tizzylish

The website was whitepages.com. Just the regular old phone book. I did a search there to see if someone else that I know who uses AT&T and has an unpuplished number came up, and it did not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1: You're not dealing with a phone company. You're dealing with a cable company.

2: Any time you request an "unlisted" number, you agree that the number may, in fact, become available to the public.

tizzylish

Can you please elaborate on that? That does not make much sense to me.
If I am paying for a service to keep my number non listed and non published then how am I agreeing that my number may become public information. That totaly defeats the pourpose of having an unlisetd phone number.

Thank you

xylene

Why have you not finished the abuser?

I'm not trying to be flip either. This abuser is not going away, and a mistake by the phone company being enough to put your life at risk is a bad gamble. The phone company makes mistakes ALL THE TIME. It is in there service contract that they don't owe you.

At best you have a claim for the service you paid for but did not receive.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can you please elaborate on that? That does not make much sense to me.
If I am paying for a service to keep my number non listed and non published then how am I agreeing that my number may become public information. That totaly defeats the pourpose of having an unlisetd phone number.

Thank you
Do you know that it's not "your" number?
Read the agreement you have with your service provider.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">