• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

increase in damage after small claim filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pterygium

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I had $4500 in damages done to my property. In Michigan, the maximum small claims amount is $3000. I sued in small claims for $3000 to avoid civil litigation (which I know nothing about), and I was just going to sacrifice the remaining $1500. At the small claims hearing the defendant opted for the case to be heard in civil court. The maximum lawsuit amount in civil is $25,000. Can I increase the amount of the suit to $4500, now that the case will be heard in civil court, or am I stuck suing for only the $3000 of the original suit? Thanks!What is the name of your state?

BL

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I had $4500 in damages done to my property. In Michigan, the maximum small claims amount is $3000. I sued in small claims for $3000 to avoid civil litigation (which I know nothing about), and I was just going to sacrifice the remaining $1500. At the small claims hearing the defendant opted for the case to be heard in civil court. The maximum lawsuit amount in civil is $25,000. Can I increase the amount of the suit to $4500, now that the case will be heard in civil court, or am I stuck suing for only the $3000 of the original suit? Thanks!What is the name of your state?

Have you called the Court's Clerk's Office to ask if you can amend the amount to reflect the true damages ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">