• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent Sales Rep suing former Emplyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcsmith09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I was an independent, commissioned based sales representative for a soap company here in Honolulu. I worked for the company for about one year. I had one account in particular that started to really grow over that period of a year. We had a HUGE order come in during the middle of February. In March they said they didn't need my services any longer - since I am a 10-99 employee I always understood this could happen. They are now dragging their feet on paying me for the large February order.

Typically I get paid after they get paid which is usually net-30. Since I was let go before I could verify they had been paid I cannot guarantee for certain (although I do have a year long payment history from them with no problems) that the customer paid for this order. I have copies of all my emails going back to the beginning of my employment with the company. The total amount owed is about $1000. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? If it gets to small claims does my case look good?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Without a record subpoena to prove your case, you really have no way to guarantee anyone who can/will verify this will show up to represent the company. Iwould not waste my time over $1k.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What does your written contract state with regard to commissions that are only due after your contract has been terminated?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just because it needs to be said:

There is no such thing as a "1099 employee". You're either an employee or a contractor. Have you confirmed with your state's labor board and/or the examined the federal rules to determine if you are, in fact, a contractor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">