• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indian giver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magichat

What is the name of your state? MS

Last week a juvenile gave my adult daughter a puppy. My daughter called the child's guardian with witnesses present and asked if the child could give her the puppy. Grandmother agreed. Now, a week later, the old hag wants the puppy. The kids have cared for the puppy including giving her shots for over a week. The kids want the cost of the care they gave the puppy.
Last night the hag kept calling our home until I blocked her from calling again. She wants the puppy back or $100. She threatened to sign charges against us and our daughter and her husband. This morning she talked another neighbor into calling us about the dog. Today a deputy showed up and urged us to find the dog and return it to the hag. He didn't go as far as to say they allowed her to sign charges.
My husband and I are truck drivers. We were not anywhere around when the puppy was given to our daughter. I'm not worried about us being convicted, but I know this county well enough to know we can be arrested.
First, is possession really 9/10 of the law? Second, if all four adults in this home are arrested, there are two children who will be traumatized. What recourse do we have?

racer72

First, is possession really 9/10 of the law?
No. If that was the case, all people would have to do it take something and it would belong to that person.

Second, if all four adults in this home are arrested, there are two children who will be traumatized. What recourse do we have?
From a legal standpoint, it is strictly a civil matter. But why risk it? Give the dog back with a bill for the shots.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">