• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Info about where should I file

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

piponel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

I'm in Colorado Springs, CO and the company I want to sue is in Aurora, CO. I've tried already to get to an agreement both via phone conversations and by sending a demand letter. Nothing. So I guess I wanna file in small claims court. Where do I file? Also is there anywhere where I can get some help for as little as possible as this is not a big case? Thanks!

latigo

Colorado Court Rules

Rule 98 Place of Trial

(a) Venue for Real Property, Franchises and Utilities. All actions affection real property, franchises or utilities shall be tried in the county in which the subject of the action, or a substantial part thereof, is situated.

(c) Venue for Tort, Contract, and Other Actions. (1) Except as provided in sections (a), (b), and (c)(2) through (6) of this Rule, an action shall be tried in the county in which the defendants, or any of them, may reside at the commencement of the action, or in the county where the plaintiff resides when service is made on the defendant in such county; or if the defendant is a nonresident of this state, the same may be tried in any county in which the defendant may be found in this state, or in the county designated in the complaint, and if any defendant is about to depart from the state, such action may be tried in any county where plaintiff resides, or where defendant may be found and service had.

Annotations:

The residence of a corporation is the place where, by the certificate of incorporation, its principal office is to be kept. Woods Gold Mining Co. v. Royston, 46 Colo. 191, 103 P. 291 (1909).

Anything else?

piponel

Thanks for the info

I really appreciate your input, it's just that all I wanted to know is if I can file in my city because that's where the damage happened or I actually I HAVE to file in the city where the company has it's headquarters. Thanks!

Dave1952

Your Secretary of State's web-site lists business addresses and also the party to whom legal documents should be sent.

Good luck

latigo

I really appreciate your input, it's just that all I wanted to know is if I can file in my city because that's where the damage happened or I actually I HAVE to file in the city where the company has it's headquarters. Thanks!
You may “appreciate the input", but apparently you either haven't fully read it or for some inexplicable reason fail to comprehend plain English.

“An action ( not described in subsection (a) shall be tried in the county in which the defendants, or any of them, may reside at the commencement of the action.

The residence of a corporation is the place where, by the certificate of incorporation, its principal office is to be kept.”

piponel

I'm really sorry

You may “appreciate the input", but apparently you either haven't fully read it or for some inexplicable reason fail to comprehend plain English.

“An action ( not described in subsection (a) shall be tried in the county in which the defendants, or any of them, may reside at the commencement of the action.

The residence of a corporation is the place where, by the certificate of incorporation, its principal office is to be kept.”
I didn't mean to offend you in any way nor did I want you to believe I can't read English. All it was, with all the legal terms, I was confused by the second paragraph. Now I totally understand and one more time, THANK YOU!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">