• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ink cartridge broke my printer:Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

malli52

California

I purchased a number of inkjet cartridges for my printer from an online inket cartridge supplier. The company sent cartridges that were refurbished and supposedly compatible with my printer but when not recognized by my printer the company rep said that my printer apparently would only accept manufacturer supplied cartridges and their policy was to offer a full refund for the cartridges. Fine!

EXCEPT that one of the cartridges would not be removed from my printer. I contacted the printer company technical dept; they determined that the cartridge was stuck due to a hardware malfunction. I needed a new printer or to have the printer repaired.The printer was working perfectly prior to my putting this cartridge in it.

I have notified the cartridge company that their noncompatible cartridge broke my printer. Not only could I not return the cartridge for a refund (as it is stuck) but I believe they are liable for the cost of a replacement printer.

The company has not responded at all to numerous emails. Suddenly they are mute.

Do I have a small claims case??

THE PRACTICE-36

malli52 said:
California

I purchased a number of inkjet cartridges for my printer from an online inket cartridge supplier. The company sent cartridges that were refurbished and supposedly compatible with my printer but when not recognized by my printer the company rep said that my printer apparently would only accept manufacturer supplied cartridges and their policy was to offer a full refund for the cartridges. Fine!

EXCEPT that one of the cartridges would not be removed from my printer. I contacted the printer company technical dept; they determined that the cartridge was stuck due to a hardware malfunction. I needed a new printer or to have the printer repaired.The printer was working perfectly prior to my putting this cartridge in it.

I have notified the cartridge company that their noncompatible cartridge broke my printer. Not only could I not return the cartridge for a refund (as it is stuck) but I believe they are liable for the cost of a replacement printer.

The company has not responded at all to numerous emails. Suddenly they are mute.

Do I have a small claims case??

My response:

I have no idea. I don't know if you "forced" the cartridge, or installed it at an angle, or whatever. I haven't seen it. You'll need to find out the exact problem, first.

What is the State of the cartridge company?

What was the purchase price of the printer?

What is the current value of the printer?

What is the repair cost of the printer?

Answer these, and then we may be able to help you with a decision.

IAAL

malli52

good questions

I did not force the cartridge. It slid in normally and the printer did not indicate a problem with its insertion, rather that it was not a proper cartridge. But it has stuck. The HP technician who I contacted online went through attempts to unhook it by resetting the printer to the original settings but to no avail.
I believe the printer was about $110 (is an HP multifunction printer, copier and scanner)and is 1 1/2 years old, so maybe worth $80 Its replacement model is about the same price ($110.) The cartridge which remains stuck in the machine is about $14 and would have been refunded if returned but I can't get it out so**************..

I hardly think repair makes any sense given the price of replacing the machine.

I just feel the inkjet company should be liable given that they sold a compatible "refurbished"cartridge tha damaged a perfectly good, working multifunction printer/scanner/copier such that it is now junk.

THE PRACTICE-36

malli52 said:
I did not force the cartridge. It slid in normally and the printer did not indicate a problem with its insertion, rather that it was not a proper cartridge. But it has stuck. The HP technician who I contacted online went through attempts to unhook it by resetting the printer to the original settings but to no avail.
I believe the printer was about $110 (is an HP multifunction printer, copier and scanner)and is 1 1/2 years old, so maybe worth $80 Its replacement model is about the same price ($110.) The cartridge which remains stuck in the machine is about $14 and would have been refunded if returned but I can't get it out so**************..

I just feel the inkjet company should be liable given that they sold a compatible "refurbished"cartridge tha damaged a perfectly good, working multifunction printer/scanner/copier such that it is now junk.

My response:

So, I'll assume that, because you failed to answer, the company is out of State.

Your printer is only worth about $50.00, and that's being liberal. You're not entitled to "replacement value." You would only be entitled to the "repair cost" or the current value, whichever is less.

Then, there's the matter of "jurisdiction." Without going into an explanation about that, and the costs involved, it would be simpler for you to buy another printer, and forget about using cartridges off the Internet.

IAAL

malli52

THE PRACTICE-36 said:
My response:

I have no idea. I don't know if you "forced" the cartridge, or installed it at an angle, or whatever. I haven't seen it. You'll need to find out the exact problem, first.

What is the State of the cartridge company?

What was the purchase price of the printer?

What is the current value of the printer?

What is the repair cost of the printer?

Answer these, and then we may be able to help you with a decision.

IAAL

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the state of the inkjet company. It appears that are in the Los Angeles area, as am I, given that is where their return address is.

To repeat my other replies to your questions:

I am also very angry that they are not deigning to respond to my emails about the stuck cartridge with any guidance, even as much as a reassurance that I would get refunded for it without its return!! Bad business practice!

Bah humbug....:)

Edit/Delete Message

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">